View Full Version : HV-30 as "videocard" to monitor w FCP

Erik Palm
June 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi!

Have any of you connected a monitor via the HV-30 ( FCP-FIREWIRE-HV30-VIDEO(yellowthing)- MONITOR). What are the settings in FCP6 and on camera?
I have a macbookpro with neither breakoutbox nor videocard.

Best regards Erik

Trent Humphrey
June 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
as far as I know yes you can. Im not sure what the settings would be as I have not used FCP but I imagine it would be similar to Vegas. In vegas it us under your preferences I believe (at work and cant really check) under an output monitor tab. Basicly you set the output via your firewire and run that to your camera as normal. and then have the camera on and have the video component output from the camera to the TV. Of course just turn your tv to that particular component connection. Should be fairly easy if you research your question a bit more on a FCP forum. Hope this helps somewhat. If I have more time later i will research it.

Erik Palm
June 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks, I think I need a complete guidance. I have done it on Canon Xh-A1 and that was a bit tricky.

Edward Carlson
June 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Not with an HV30, but I do it all the time with my Panasonic GS70. Go to View > Video Playback > NTSC DV (or HD, depending on the timeline.) Then go to View > External Video > All Frames.

Joseph H. Moore
June 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
You can do this with DV projects but not HDV. This is not a FCP or a HV20 issue, it stems from the fact that this is not a capability in the HDV standard.

Steve Lang
June 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
As Joseph says, you cannot monitor HDV through Firewire on the HV20/HV30.

But...you can connect a DV camera and monitor your HV30 footage through that to an external NTSC monitor. I am going to be trying this soon myself, as I fortunately have an old DV cam. It should still provide the benefit of checking your color output to NTSC.

Erik Palm
June 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks. Does anybody know the settings on the HV30?

Kind regards. Erik

Erik Palm
June 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I work with PAL - it shoulden´t make any difference right? I want to monitor DV footage. The HV30 has DV settings, then it should be possible to use it, right?

Kind regards Erik

Dave Pecunies
June 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I don't think you can monitor HDV through the HV20/30 or the A1 with FCP6.

Erik Palm
June 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
You can see HDV on the monitor at least transformed to SD. I only have an old 8' JVC 4.3 SD monitor that shows it squezed from HV-30 it works ok. At least you have the colours and can check the field order. For 4:3 SD it looks great.