View Full Version : Vegas user needs help from FCP users.

Paul Kellett
June 10th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I've got some footage from my EX1, i need to give this footage to 2 people.
One person uses imovie from 2005 and the other uses FCP5.
Can someone tell me what format i need to export from vegas pro 8.
A complete render template would be good but i understand that most of you don't have experience with vegas.
I can then just put the footage on a portable hard-drive then take it to them.

Thanks.
Paul.

Paul Kellett
June 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Just giving this a bump.
can anyone help me ?

Paul.

Mike Barber
June 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I can't say what to use for iMovie (though I do have a snarky comment about iMovie, I'm keeping it to myself), but for FCP5 you should probably use the DVCProHD codec. This is just my best guess, I can't give you anything more certain than that.

I would be both shocked and in awe if iMovie was able to handle it. I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression iMovie doesn't handle anything more than HDV.

Paul Kellett
June 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
So why can't i just render my footage out from vegas as HDV ?
Because i've done that and imovie can't use it.

For FCP5 i'll try the DVCproHD.

Thanks Mike.

Paul.

Tim Dashwood
June 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM
iMovie or FCP should be able to handle any quicktime format you can export from Windows. However, if the system has never had FCP installed (ie the iMovie system) than it may lack "pro" quicktime components like DVCProHD.

Robert Lane
June 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
iMovie does not support any professional broadcast formats (which DVCPRO is); the only HD format it will talk to is HDV and AVCHD. Although XDCAM is in fact high-bitrate HDV it's still not the same structure as consumer HDV camera masters. If you've converted XDCAM into HDV and iMovie doesn't like it you may need the Sony codec installed; try the EX1 threads and see if anyone knows this workflow.