View Full Version : QuickTimw 7.5

Liam Hall
June 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Anyone installed this yet?

Having found a few bugs in 7.4, I'm loathe to install it without a green light from everyone.

Robert Lane
June 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
As a general rule, you do *not* need to constantly update Quicktime just because Apple releases a new version. The only reason to do it is if you need to access more advanced features not available in your current version or, for updated software compatibility.

Considering the last 5 QT updates have caused serious issues for the pro-apps users, my advice is that if you have a stable-running system, don't do the update until something changes in your system software/hardware environment that absolutely dictates you get current updates.

David Knaggs
June 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hmmmm. It says, "improves application stability". Hmmmm.

Apparently, the last update of Quicktime knocked out the ability of FCP to capture certain types of footage with JVC ProHD cameras.

Perhaps this is the fix?

As I have a ProHD camera, I'm willing to try it. I'll let you know tomorrow, Liam.

Robert Lane
June 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
David,

Be sure you follow the advice given in another thread *prior* to installing the QT update; backup/clone/image your OS first, then attempt the update. If things go south all you'd have to do is restore your disk image rather than wiping the drive and reinstalling all your apps and OS again.

Liam Hall
June 11th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks David.

David Knaggs
June 12th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Hi Liam.

I upgraded to Mac OS X Version 10.5.3 and to QuickTime Version 7.5.

Then I captured some clips from the JVC ProHD camera. I captured one in 720p25. No problems. Then I captured a clip in 720p24. Again, no problems. I didn't capture 720p30 as I never shoot with that frame rate and so had no clips.

I vaguely recall that an earlier poster reported problems with HDV 720p24 capture after the earlier QuickTime upgrade.

So it seems that QuickTime, FCP and HDV 720p24/25 footage are all working well again, at least in my case.

And I can confirm Tim Dashwood's earlier post that the Log and Capture window now gives audio as well with HDV 720p footage. It's a wonderful thing!

David,

Be sure you follow the advice given in another thread *prior* to installing the QT update; backup/clone/image your OS first, then attempt the update. If things go south all you'd have to do is restore your disk image rather than wiping the drive and reinstalling all your apps and OS again.

Thanks for the advice, Robert. I appreciate your care.

Liam Hall
June 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hi Liam.

I upgraded to Mac OS X Version 10.5.3 and to QuickTime Version 7.5.

Then I captured some clips from the JVC ProHD camera. I captured one in 720p25. No problems. Then I captured a clip in 720p24. Again, no problems. I didn't capture 720p30 as I never shoot with that frame rate and so had no clips.

I vaguely recall that an earlier poster reported problems with HDV 720p24 capture after the earlier QuickTime upgrade.

So it seems that QuickTime, FCP and HDV 720p24/25 footage are all working well again, at least in my case.

And I can confirm Tim Dashwood's earlier post that the Log and Capture window now gives audio as well with HDV 720p footage. It's a wonderful thing!

Thanks for the advice, Robert. I appreciate your care.

Much appreciated David. Next time I'll be the guinea pig:)

Mathieu Ghekiere
June 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I downloaded Quicktime 7.5 today, and after I restarted, many programs crashed. After I did a hard reboot I got a kernel panic, every time I restarted. I mean, immediately, after the white opening screen with the Apple Logo...

The only thing I could do in the end was re-installing my complete system (putting the install discs in and starting up with C-button) again and getting my system back from a Time Machine backup (from which I unfortunately made a last copy more then a week ago, so I have lost some files that were important... my own fault, I guess).

Working on a Macbook Pro 2007 version, with Leopard 10.5.3.
I haven't read anybody else having the kernel panic problem, but I stumbled upon this thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1553193&tstart=0

So, I'm not the only one who had to re-install their complete system to get their computer working again. This is ridiculous, I lost a complete day of work because of this.
You shouldn't have to do a complete re-install because you upgraded your media player...

I'm now waiting to upgrade again to 7.5, will hold and see... I don't dare to do it at this point.

Mike Flynn
June 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I upgraded to 7.5 because 7.3.1 was being buggy. 7.5 slowed down my Compressor exports immensely. Since my time frame for delivering content on DVD is very slim, this just didn't fly. I ended up successfully re-installing QT 7.3.1 as well as the whole Final Cut Studio suite with Pacifist and now I am somewhat back to normal.