View Full Version : HELP!! General error exporting to DVCPRO

Mark Willey
June 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm trying to export some XDCAM HD 1080i60 footage to DVCPRO HD 720p60. When I do the export using the export to Quicktime, the export seems to go fine, but then a "General Error" pops up at the very end. The video plays correctly, but it is cut off about half-way through. In other words it stops well before the end of the sequence where it should end. I haven't had this problem before when doing the very same export with the very same sequence.

Any suggestions? I'm getting desperate as this is a for a DVD project that needs to go to the client and the replicator today and I've burned up the last 20 hours trying to export it several times only to get this blunt error message. Help!

Aric Mannion
June 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Every single time I've gotten a "general error" it was fixed by restarting the computer. You may want to try trashing the prefs or using "FCP rescue" -which is free.
If that doesn't work I'd copy the proj, and cut the sequence in half, and export it as 2 chunks. Then at least if the first half exports, you won't have to wait so long to get the error message when exporting the second half. It may be stupid, but when I have glitches with a project and I am desperate, I export chunks and put it back together in a new project. As long as you are not compressing the videos at all.

Robert Lane
June 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM
The best thing to do is to export as a reference movie, then use Compressor's built-in DVCPRO-HD encoder to create the conversion.

Mark Willey
June 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Robert,

That worked perfectly for me and got me out of a real jam. Now I can finish the DVD, send it to the client and the replicator and get on with my life instead of spending days waiting for failed render test after failed render test.

Thank you!