View Full Version : Simple External Monitor

Adam Slaght
June 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I am looking for a simple way to plug in an external 4:3 SD monitor to my system for color grading for SD output. It will only be used for SD. My other older external monitor has S-video, and BNC connections.

I have a new dual 2.8 Mac Pro with ATI 2600, both ports are taken by my two current monitors.

What would you suggest?

Robert Lane
June 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM
The most cost-effective method would be that since you're editing in SD you can connect any Firewire deck or camera that has video-out connections and use that as a hybrid connect to your SD-TV. Set your video out in FCP to go through Firewire (you can use Easy Setup or go into the advanced settings) and use the deck/camera as a pass-through.

There are other options but they would all cost substantially more and be far from "simple".

Adam Slaght
June 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I was hoping there was a video card for eth Mac Pro that had either S-Video or BNC connectors. I have been searching and the only other option(that isnt 300+) is to get a another ATI 2600($119) and then the DVI-RCA/S video adapter at the Mac store.

I just dont know if that will give me a good enough signal in which to grade the coloring.

Robert Lane
June 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
If you're looking to so serious color work then you need much more than just a good signal out, you'll also need a broadcast monitor which is specifically used for grading/color correction. In that scenario you'll need at a minimum either a KONA/Blackmagic card to connect to your broadcast monitor. Altogether you're looking at around $2000 total.

The good news is that broadcast monitors are a dime-a-dozen now and can be had very cheap; a 17" in excellent condition can be had for less than $500.

Adam Slaght
June 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yeh Robert I already have the broadcast monitor.

I am now just reasearching the option of hooking it into my system. I was hoping not have to drop the coin for a BM or Kona card if need be. But it looks like I am going to have to after reading lots of posts.

Guy Cochran
June 12th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Adam,

I see that you are in Everett. We're just finishing up a studio build out in Marysville. We sell the Black Magic Intensity Pro cards. If you'd like to come by and check it out in person, give me a ring 360-653-7063.
I have it hooked into a Panasonic broadcast monitor as seen in this video http://vimeo.com/796203

Chad Dyle
June 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Can you add a 2nd video card to the computer and then use a DVI to whatever adapter?

-chad

Bill Davis
June 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I am looking for a simple way to plug in an external 4:3 SD monitor to my system for color grading for SD output. It will only be used for SD. My other older external monitor has S-video, and BNC connections.

I have a new dual 2.8 Mac Pro with ATI 2600, both ports are taken by my two current monitors.

What would you suggest?

Adam,

What people are trying to say (but isn't coming through particularly clearly, IMO) is that if you're editing video, you must already have to have some mechanism to get the video into your computer.

Working in SD, it's typical that your NLE would DIGITIZE footage from whatever device you used to record your shots. That would be a camcorder of some kind. Or possibly a video deck.

That camcorder or deck would typically have some form of digial output - a firewire port for example - that transfers the video data to your computer. That same unit would ALSO have analog composite video outputs via RCA or BNC plugs.

Most folks just take a tap from that deck or camera to feed a video monitor and the firewire to analog decoder in the deck or camcorder is perfectly capable of doing the conversion so that NO ADDITIONAL CARD is required.

A card would ONLY be necessary if you're using a camcorder that doesn't have any form of analog I/O. That would be rare.

I've been editing professionally for more than a decade using SD DV and I've NEVER owned an external video card beyond the standard monitor card my computer uses to drive the computer display.

Good luck.

Adam Slaght
June 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Bill, thank you for the clarification. Your post connected the dots for me.

I shot with an XHA1 and HV30 and edit on Mac Pro with CS3. Hooking the HV30 out to my other monitor was a snap. Used the supplied RCA cable and put on a RCA to BNC adapter and bam all done. Cost me total of $1.49 for the adapter.

Thanks for the help all!