View Full Version : Timeline and other issues

Jase Tanner
June 13th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I’m using FCP 5.1.4. Quick Time 7.4.5, on a powerbook. A couple of weeks ago I took over the editing of a project, copied the media and the project file onto my system. All went well at first.

About 8 or 9 days ago I started getting unknown fle messages upon saving. The only thing I was able to do was to “save as” the project to my media drive. Then I would do another save as to get the file back onto my boot drive. A pain, but it seemed to work. I did try trashing prefences but the problem persists intermittently.

Yesterday the real weirdness began. In the timeline, the play back would suddenly jump to another clip while still supposedly playing back the same clip.

Not sure how clear that was, how best to explain this. If the clip is say, 8 seconds long, at a certain point, still within that 8 seconds, the wrong media starts to play. FWIW, there is only one video track at this point in the timeline.

Tried many things. Trashing preferences, deleting the clip from the timeline and bringing it back in from the browser. (it plays properly there btw) Even reimported the media back into FCP.

Even if I delete the clip from the timeline, so there’s nothing on any video track at all, the time line plays it as if it were there, still playing it incorrectly.

The only solution I found was to restore the project to before the issue ocurred which is what I did yesterday.

Today, the same thing happened again on a different point in the time line.

Do you think its an issue with the project file or does FCP need to be reinstalled? Or hopefully another less drastic fix.

FWIW, I’m picking up my MacBook Pro from repairs later today and will transfer the project over to it.

Many thankls for any assistance