View Full Version : Upper/Lower field?

Chad Dyle
June 14th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I'm new to FCP and I'm having some issues. My video has a pixelated look to it after I build the DVD. I'm importing as HDV 1080 60i. Editing the video and then exporting using compressor. The video is just under 90 minutes, so I use the DVD 90 minute option. I have noticed that the filed dominance is upper. Every other program I've used in the past has been lower. Is that why my video looks strange?
I've also tried to export the timeline as a Quicktime and then pull that into Compressor, but no luck. As I look at the video clips in the Inspector, it shows them as Upper. I've changed them to lower, but on the timeline, they still show as upper. Can anyone help me here? I'm starting to get really stressed and have some projects starting to back up.

Thanks,

Chad

Kevin Wild
June 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I could be wrong on this, but HD is typically upper field while SD is lower field. I don't know the rationing technically behind this, but have found it to be true. Usually, a downconversion will switch it for you if you are using hardware like a AJA Kona. If you do the downconversion in FCP (software), I believe it also switches for you. I'm not sure about Compressor, though, sorry.

Kevin

Michael Liebergot
June 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Kevin is right in regards to the field order HD (upper) and Sd (lower).
When you export your HDV sequence from FCP to QT it will keep the field order HD (upper).

But when you convert the QT file in Compressor to SD DVD (best or what ever the length), Compressor should swap the filed order to SD (lower).

Simply check the preferences to see if it has indeed been switched to SD (lower). If it hasn't then simply switch it and you're good to go.

But I don't think this is your pixelating problem.
Sounds like an encoding problem somewhere in your export.

Does your exported QT file look pixelated when viewed in QT or FCP?