View Full Version : need help using bad recordings / adr

Chris Sweet
June 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
got an editing gig for an indie film .. which for one scene has crap sound. Was shot outdoors close to a busy highway... so there is alot of background noise.. unfortunately the adr recordings were done at the same location! (wtf) So the producer says we cant get the talents to produce more adr, and to just work with it, he says some score might be added for this part too (even though there is dialog here...)

So my question is... I'm piecing together the adr w noisy background with the actual audio clips from the scenes and with wildsound.. I want to keep the wildsound (background stuff) consistent if it has to be there, and right now it jumps pitches etc at some cuts..

Is there a way to smooth out the background noise so it at least all sounds the same?

Thanks

Michael Nistler
June 15th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Well, you could try equalization (high-pass, low-pass, and band rejection) in an attempt to ressurect the audio from the dead - but don't be too optimistic... Since the background noise is random (as opposed to a fan, power humm, etc), you can't really use advanced noise filtering to intelligently cancel out the offending noise.

Regards, Michael

Martin Catt
June 15th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Wild-hair, out-of-the-box solution that's worked for me more than once: go record some background noise of your own and mix it in with the tracks you've already got. It helps even out the sound levels and hides the cuts better. Maybe not the best solution in the world, but it works.

Martin

Chris Sweet
June 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
great. thanks, this helped!