View Full Version : XL H1A setup

Rob Willemse
June 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I started filming weddings recently, now i'm planning to buy
the XL H1a from canon with the following setup.

I want to know your suggestion. Am I missing some stuff and maybe you got a better suggestion on the stuff that i'm planning to buy.

This is what i'm planning to buy.

canon XL-H1a
2x canon BP-970 battery
Canon video light VL-10LI
tripod Libec LS-38
Kata camcorderbag
Kata raincover
glidecam smooth shooter with the 4000 pro
Rode NTG-1 microphone

One more question, how well is the standard microphone that comes with the XL-H1a.
There isnt much written about it.

Bill Busby
June 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I seriously doubt you'll like that Canon light. It will most likely be really "spotty" with any widescreen frame.

Rob Willemse
June 16th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Hmm, ok. Any other suggestions for a nice videolight that costs below 220,- euro's.

Lloyd Morgan
June 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
This is an old thread, so im interested in what you ended up getting? For weddings video light is only really beneficial for the 'last dance' when the DJ has got the lights down and some annoying lazers shooting all over the place. How you liking the Canon XL H1a? Ive owned one for the last 6 months, and am really pleased with the quality of footage that it captures. Out of interest, are you filming weddings on 25p or 50i?

Taky Cheung
June 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm using XH-A1a and XH-A1s. Don't get the VL-10 light. it's really, like Bill said it's very spoty. You can check out some comparison videos I put together that includes the VL-10 light.

6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout | L.A. Color Blog (http://lacolorshop.com/blog/view.asp?id=12)

We also have compatible BP-970G batteries that are a lot cheaper but reliable.

The on-board mic is for general purpose. I also use Rode NTG-1. You can get it from this place
http://www.jacksmusicfactory.com/

Their price is really good. They are also Rode authorized dealer. The owner Jack is easy to work with. Because of their low price, it won't be advertise on their web site but you will need to get a quote from him. Believe me, the price will be a lot lower than you can find in B&H.