View Full Version : Authoring a DVD

Carl Walters
June 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Okay so i'm new to editing on the Mac. I have just edited a wedding using FCE, exported my several chapters and have just designed my disc in iDVD. Problem, when the chapters play the revert back to the main menu at the end of each chapter, and I can't find anyway of making it play the next chapter directly. I've done a search on Google and someone recommends adding the chapters as slideshows instead, tried that but don't get full screen.

So, what other options/software can you recommend. Do I need to invest in DVD Studio to do what i'm wanting to do or is there a cheaper way?

Regards,
Carl

Mike Barber
June 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Okay so i'm new to editing on the Mac. I have just edited a wedding using FCE, exported my several chapters and have just designed my disc in iDVD. Problem, when the chapters play the revert back to the main menu at the end of each chapter, and I can't find anyway of making it play the next chapter directly. I've done a search on Google and someone recommends adding the chapters as slideshows instead, tried that but don't get full screen.

So, what other options/software can you recommend. Do I need to invest in DVD Studio to do what i'm wanting to do or is there a cheaper way?

Regards,
Carl

Check the iDVD manual regarding end jumps. It sounds to me like there is a setting you need to adjust.

Carl Walters
June 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Check the iDVD manual regarding end jumps. It sounds to me like there is a setting you need to adjust.
Hi Mike,

Checked that, there's nothing in the help files, that's why I googled it. From checking on the Apple iDVD forum, It appears that this is a restriction of iDVD, the only workaround is the slideshow tab, but this doesn't exactly do it right.

Carl

Tim Dashwood
June 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
It sounds like you exported separate quicktime files, which will be considered "tracks," not "chapters." A track will revert back to a menu unless it is told to "endjump" to another track. I don't think this is possible in iDVD.

If you want standard chapters then just keep your whole video in your FCE sequence intact as a single track and use the marker (M key) to specify "CHAPTER" markers. I've never used FCE but I'm assuming this feature is included. You won't need a chapter marker for the head of the sequence.

The process is simple:

Set your playhead where you would like the first chapter marker to be.
Hit the "M" key and you will see a little green marker.
Hit the "M" key a second time and the marker info window will pop up.
Click the "Add Chapter Marker" button and <CHAPTER> tag will be inserted into the comment section making this readable in DVD authoring programs as a chapter. You can also rename the marker to something other than "Marker 1." Whatever you name it here will show up in the "Scene Selection" menu in your iDVD project.
Click "OK" and repeat steps 1-4 for the rest of your markers.
Select Export-->Quicktime Movie
Make sure you are outputting with Chapter Markers and save your Quicktime.
Now open iDVD and set the preferences to "Ask" what to do when it sees a file with chapter markers (you won't always want to make scene selection menus.)
Throw your Quicktime into your menu and tell iDVD "yes" you do want to create scene selection sub-menu based on chapter markers.

That's it.

Carl Walters
June 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
It sounds like you exported separate quicktime files, which will be considered "tracks," not "chapters." A track will revert back to a menu unless it is told to "endjump" to another track. I don't think this is possible in iDVD.

If you want standard chapters then just keep your whole video in your FCE sequence intact as a single track and use the marker (M key) to specify "CHAPTER" markers. I've never used FCE but I'm assuming this feature is included. You won't need a chapter marker for the head of the sequence.

The process is simple:

Set your playhead where you would like the first chapter marker to be.
Hit the "M" key and you will see a little green marker.
Hit the "M" key a second time and the marker info window will pop up.
Click the "Add Chapter Marker" button and <CHAPTER> tag will be inserted into the comment section making this readable in DVD authoring programs as a chapter. You can also rename the marker to something other than "Marker 1." Whatever you name it here will show up in the "Scene Selection" menu in your iDVD project.
Click "OK" and repeat steps 1-4 for the rest of your markers.
Select Export-->Quicktime Movie
Make sure you are outputting with Chapter Markers and save your Quicktime.
Now open iDVD and set the preferences to "Ask" what to do when it sees a file with chapter markers (you won't always want to make scene selection menus.)
Throw your Quicktime into your menu and tell iDVD "yes" you do want to create scene selection sub-menu based on chapter markers.

That's it.

Hi Tim,

Thanks a million, i'll try that and let you know how I get on with it.

Regards, Carl

Carl Walters
June 17th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Hi Tim,

Thanks a million, i'll try that and let you know how I get on with it.

Regards, Carl

...... IT WORKS ...... Followed your instructions and it works perfectly now, thanks Tim,