View Full Version : Help with understanding Video vs. Film look ??

Tom Blizzard
June 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I've had two GL2 cams for about a year now and I've read the many comments from forum members about the great film-like quality if the camera especially when using the frames mode. I tried frames, along with manual settings, so I have seen the result. I have had no formal training in videography, so I need some help in understanding just why the soft, filmlike look is so desirable.

However, here's my concern and delimma. When my wife and I go to the beach to do a still photo beach shoot, we take our $129 Canon Powershot A550 "point and shoot" digital cameras to make a short video of the event. Lots of salt and sand so I don't want to use the GL2 cams. We use A550 cams to take video at 30fps in 640x480. A 4 gig SD card will give us each about 30 minutes of video. We do use DSLR cams for the still photos.

Now then, the video from these little cams is great. Very sharp, great depth of field, excellent focus. . In my novice opinion it beats the "film look" of the GL2 cams which are very soft, even to the point of being blurred. We have also made comparisons in other lighting situations like parades and stage performances, and to our eyes, the A550 does a better all around job. We just did a wedding with the GL2 cams and I am at a loss in understanding the look of the GL2 results. I do manual focus, I do use the Zebra pattern. Golly, I sure need educating on this thing....
Thanks, Tom

Frank Simpson
June 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
There is an entire thread on this forum dedicated to the "film look" in the Special Interests Areas. It is a subject of considerable discussion.

Also, the current issue of Videomaker magazine has an article that is something of a primer on the subject.

The education never stops... there is always something more to learn!

Tom Blizzard
June 17th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the reply Frank. I'll pick up a copy of Videomaker and look at the thread. I appreciate your help.