View Full Version : How many of you use a dedicated or custom keyboard for Final Cut?

Michael Maier
June 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I have been thinking about getting a Final Cut Keyboard, but there seem to be dozens of options out there like the Logic, the Bella etc. Are you using a custom keyboard? What is your opinion about them? Superfluous? Worth it? One of my worries besides not working is that it won't carry it on well to Final Cut Studio 3 for example.
Opinions?
Thanks.

Andy Mees
June 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM
They are excellent productivity enhancers. Even seasoned FCP editors who know the keyboard shortcuts very very well indeed can usually garner some benefit, however they tend to be a double edged sword. Users who regularly work with a dedicated keyboard often find they struggle if and when working without it.

My own favourite dedicated keyboard is the Logic keyboard (or key caps)... I'm not at all keen on the Bella (I didn't like the tactile response) but many others I know swear by it.

My hands down favourite though are the KBCovers keyboard overlays. Not only are they cheap and cheerful, but they offer excellent protection for your keyboard from dust and spills, plus you can simply whip them off when you want to do some word processing or other task where the fcp shortcut icons and color coding would otherwise get in the way

Hubert Hofer
June 17th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Hi michael,
It just so happens that I ordered one only last night, for that price it's worth a try.
KB covers is the brand (US). It should make it easier for someone like me who only occasionally plays around with FCP

1 Final Cut Pro/Express Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro & Powerbook
@ $29.95 = $29.95

James Brill
June 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I have a logic at work and it is great for FCP for when you have a brain fart or are working with someone who loves to do everything different than the way you always do it. Unfortunately since there are illustrations and sometimes even the added apple sign that the last thing you can make out on the keys is the letter and it does not have any knubs or dots on F and J to give you reference on where your fingers are. It feels just like the keyboard that has been coming out with all the macs previous to this new sleek one.

Andrea di Varmo
June 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I bought one of these.

http://www.editorskeys.com/

Nick Weeks
June 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm using the final cut one from www.logickeyboard.com

pricey, but absolutely stunning. It uses a real Mac keyboard so it feels the same as the one that came with your computer.

Mike Barber
June 20th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I had been considering it for a time, but decided against it for a few reasons:

One, similar to what Andy mentioned, is that I wouldn't want to become dependent on it. Though now I am exclusively working on my station at home, how embarrassing would it be to be on a client's and sit there, dumbfounded, trying to remember which keystroke was for ________.

Second, there are so many combos -- command+ command+alt+ control+shift+ alt+ etc. -- they can't all be on the keyboard keys, so you are going to have to memorize anyway.

Three, if they are memorized, then I just hit the strokes. If they aren't and I'm looking for them on the keyboard, then I am wasting time.

Four, I customize my key commands. FCP's default commands are OK, but I like to make them better to suite my way of operating, which includes different keyboard layouts for different tasks (same goes for window layouts). No custom board is going to be able to keep up. On this point alone, they would not work, but that's just for me. We all have our own way of doing things. This is mine.

Mike Flynn
June 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I have the Logic one. Comes in handy with shortcuts that I don't use often but I know that they are there. Other than that, it just looks really cool and people always make a comment about it :)

Andrew Kimery
June 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
If you only use FCP every now and then a FCP keyboard can help, but other than that I say it's a waste of cash. As other users have said there are so many short cuts that use modifiers that a FCP keyboard is pretty limited in how much it can help and if you customize the keyboard layout then the FCP keyboard is completely useless.

-A

Andy Mees
June 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM
custom layouts? more money then sense? then ya gotta love this one:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/optimus/

Alex Humphrey
June 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
I have one.. I"ve used it maybe twice.. what I REALLY use is COUNTOUR SHUTTLE PRO... I edit for hours at a time with that on my arm chair and occasionally use the mouse to move about... better use of money. and so nice to shuttle frame by frame if you want.

Michael Maier
June 23rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
I have one.. I"ve used it maybe twice.. what I REALLY use is COUNTOUR SHUTTLE PRO... I edit for hours at a time with that on my arm chair and occasionally use the mouse to move about... better use of money. and so nice to shuttle frame by frame if you want.

Doesn't the Bella give the best of both worlds since it also has a jog/shuttle and you get the shortcut keys too?