View Full Version : Dell 2408 vs Apple Cinema Display

Giles Buchanan
June 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I'm not going to make this any longer than it needs to be, and I hope this will alleviate any doubts about which monitor to buy if you are in this dilemma.

My Mac Pro arrived and so did the Dell 2408 monitor in a record speed of 2 days (the Dell not the Mac) after ordering.

As has been said many times before, out the the box the 2408 is a bit nasty (Colours that is! the actual screen feels solid and well made and imo looks great too) and utterly useless for any type of graphic work. Now after playing around with it for a couple of days it becomes apparent that you will never be able to configure it properly on your own. Just isn't going to happen without external help!:

Answer:

Buy this - Huey Pro (Professional Colour Corrector)

SORTED!

Quite literally this is the end of the argument. Get this and everything is sorted to perfection. Great little piece of kit, a bit expensive but once I saw my screen and colours as they should be I was happy again and very VERY satisfied with the screen. When you add the cost of the 2408 with the Huey Pro it is still cheaper than the 23' ACD, so I don't really know what else to say - Dell wins until Apple bring out their new screens.

As it is I have my Mac Pro, my Laptop and my PS3 all rigged up to this thing and it is truly awesome! Black Hawk Down on Blu-Ray (PS3) looks simply epic on the Dell! Try doing that on an ACD!

I spent weeks trying to decide which of the two to buy; if your having trouble don't spend any longer searching for more reviews - there is no competition, go and buy the Dell! And if your not happy, Apple will bring out their new screens soon enough and you'll be glad you didn't spend the cash on the old ACD's!

Best,

Giles B

Andy Wilkinson
June 18th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Great info. Thanks for letting us know mate.