View Full Version : Protecting your lens

Todd Clark
June 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Can anybody recommend a good lens protector for shooting? I want to shoot close to the street with moving objects and I am afraid a stone might crack the lens. What kind of filter can I attach that will not effect the picture whatsoever. Someone mentioned a polarizing filter but it seems like that might change the picture slightly. Does anybody have any good suggestions? Thanks for your help!!!

Don Palomaki
June 21st, 2008, 04:16 AM
A high quality UV filter is often used to protect the front element. Look for one that is coated to minimize internal reflections.

Be aware that dust on a filter can become visible in the image so you have to take care to keep it clean.

Frank Simpson
June 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Don is right. The first things I bought for my three GL2s were UV filters that live on the cameras at all times. It's the ol' "an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure".

I would much rather have to buy a new filter than a new lens!

Todd Clark
June 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys for all your help. Can you recommend one to get? It seems there are so many and if you are having success with the ones you have I will probably get some of those. Thanks!

George Bazhenov
June 23rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
if you are having success
It is difficult to measure success in protecting the lens against flying pebbles. I bought a simple UV filter and the picture in my XM2 did not degrade. At least I did not notice degradation. For the best in filters go shopping for Tiffen: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533194-REG/Tiffen_58HTDUC_58mm_Digital_HT_High.html

But I am using a less expensive brand.