View Full Version : Wireless Setup help????

Scott Gold
July 28th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Ok, I'm shooting a how to video with my GL2 and need a good wireless lavalier setup. I have looked into the MA-300 for the xlr connections and was thinking about the SAMSON Series One wireless lavalier mic. Is this a good setup? Will it allow me to connect two of these SAMSON Series One mics in the futrue?
I was also thinking of adding a shotgun mic as well.

I need to purchase this stuff pretty soon and your help and suggestions would be a great resource for me.

Thanks,

Scott

Aaron Koolen
July 28th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Scott, I don't know about the Samson's in either price or quality but a lot of people team something like a BeachTek or SignVideo adapter with a Sennheiser Evolution 100 series wireless. I have a SignVideo and Evo100 and have been very happy with it. I think you're looking at about NZ$1000 all up for both - maybe a little less.

Cheers
Aaron

Jack Robertson
July 28th, 2003, 09:17 PM
I have purchased the Sennheiser Evolution Series EW112P Set... it works like a treat. You can get Omni or Cardioid patterns of the actual lapel mic.

It comes with the Body pack transmitter and camera mount receiver. It features presset and user definable frequencies and other neat features.

Quality is excellent and has a better S/N ratio than CD, and the range is excellent too.

Cheers,
Jack

Scott Gold
July 28th, 2003, 09:17 PM
I'll be shooting on the beach in San Diego. Do you think I'm going to get interference from local sources. Which is better, VHF or UHF? Wind is also going to be an issue.

Thanks,
Scott

Jack Robertson
July 28th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Scott,

UHF would be better quality and less crowded.

The only thing is that the UHF frequencies allowed in th US might be different than the ones in NZ/AUS...

If you encounter interference just switch to another frequency and you should be sweet.

Jack

Jack Robertson
July 28th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Sorry Scott for some reason I though you were from New Zealand... Doh! :)

Jack

Bud Kuenzli
July 29th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I think it is at sennheiser.com that you can find a chart of frequencies for various cities throughout the nation. It shows which local stations are using which parts of the bands that overlap with wireless mics so you can pic a setup with the proper range. I recently bought an Azden 500 setup and used those charts to verify that locally I would have minimal problems with the frequencies I would be using. try

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/mat_dev/jumptoproduct/?to=/pages/products/rf/Rindex.htm

but watch out above for possible return carriages. If the url doesn't work, go to
sennheiserusa.com and click on "wireless mics" from the Quick links on the right of the home page. Then click on frequency information. Choose "Evolution Wireless Frequency Selection Page" by clicking on the words "click here". follow the ensuing directions or scroll down and click on your state for a quick overview.

Nathan Gifford
July 29th, 2003, 10:40 AM
A number of people use the Sampson and think they work OK. I would still recommend the Sennheiser Evolution 100 system. They can be had for under $450. Pro-Tape (http://www.pro-tape.com/), a DVinfo sponsor, may have some left for less than that. Check with the store in Houston and ask for Jaime.