View Full Version : Event Opal Audio Monitors - The details

Ty Ford
July 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Hi,

I was in Las Vegas last weekend for the roll out of the new Event Opal audio monitors. The science behind these monitors is very interesting. The demo sounded very impressive.

There's a 92 MB file called TyFordOpalEvent.mov on the top level of my OnLine Archive. You'll need Quicktime to play it.

Here's the link: http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public?view=web

Use the arrow on the right to download.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Steve House
July 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I've tried everything - Quicktime, VLC, etc. The file plays video but no audio. Other QT files play both audio and video just fine. Don't know if the problem is on your end or mine. Any ideas?

S

Ty Ford
July 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Steve,

I just downloaded it from the DVI page link and it works fine here. .50 for the person who finds the PC gremlin.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Seth Bloombaum
July 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
PC - QT 7.3.1 - no sound - no .50. Audio codec is reported by QT as aacl mono 44.1KHz. Vegas reports it as MPEG4 audio.

Ty Ford
July 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Fascinating. Here's what I get when I get info here.

MPEG 4 Low Delay AAC, Mono, 44.100 kHz
H.264 Decoder.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Steve Oakley
July 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I just tried in on mac G4 QT 7.5

picture no sound ! indicates 2 tracks of audio, but nothing coming out. sounds like the file needs to be re-encoded cause something is smegged.

ditto in VLC, pic no sound

Steve oakley

Ty Ford
July 31st, 2008, 03:23 AM
Thanks Steve,

Weird. Why is audio on some machines, but not others?

A real study in how funky things can be.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford
July 31st, 2008, 05:15 AM
Even funkier.

I can download the file from my server and play it fine on two of my three macs, but experimenting further this AM, on my 3rd Mac...no audio. Even if I bring the file over the network from the machine I rendered it on...no audio.

And the get info doesn't describe the audio. How weird is that?

It's as if the audio is being scraped off for some computers, Mac or PC, but not others.

Anyone with an explanation, toss in.

Fascinating.

Maybe I'll try another render. Got any suggerstions?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Steve Oakley
July 31st, 2008, 11:11 AM
if you have a good version locally that works on all machines, try putting it back up, as V2. its possible the UL got corrupted.... maybe its even a bad sector on the HD of the server where your site sits, and some little chunk got whacked. something got wierd though.

a day ago, exported a TL as reference mov, brought into DVD SP to burn to disc, the 2nd 1/2 of the TL was missing. exported same way again, it worked ok. apple QA !

Charles Papert
July 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM
maybe the file will only play back audio through the Event Opal monitors...?

sorry, couldn't resist.

Ty Ford
July 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm working on another render.

Ty

Seth Bloombaum
July 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM
maybe the file will only play back audio through the Event Opal monitors...?

sorry, couldn't resist.

That's both very funny and very sad. How many times have our skills, our software, or our hardware been orphaned - let's throw it away and get the new stuff. And now our landfills are full of yesterday's technology... News this week is that Oregon is creating a technology recycling program state-wide for computers & tvs, as they contain toxic materials. I wonder if they'll take my Genelecs?

Ty Ford
July 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM
I just opened a Genelec recycling center here at my place. I can help you with that. :)

Send them along.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford
July 31st, 2008, 08:44 PM
OK,
I re rendered, this time as an mp4. It works on all my computers now as well.

go to the directory http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public?view=web

and look for TyFordOpalEvent.mp4

Use the arrow on the right to download.

Please let me knowhow it works for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Ty Ford

Seth Bloombaum
August 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
The video is fine on a PC with QT 7.3.1, MPEG4 video, AAC audio - thanks Ty.

What a good move for Rode to go into monitoring. I do look forward to hearing them. Shiny too.

Did you get a good workout on them?

Ty Ford
August 1st, 2008, 04:55 AM
Hello Seth,

They had a small enclosed "mastering room" sized space constructed backstage with acoustic panels on various wall and ceiling spots and corner absorbers. Sort of like a small version of the rooms used at the AES conventions. We didn't have a lot of time with them because there were about 100 people in line to hear them. There was a minor confusion concerning getting the line started and, because I was at the right place at the right time, I took advantage and was part of the first group.

I didn't know the first two pieces of music, but I was familiar with the AC/DC. The kick drum was exceptionally defined, maybe due to the new piston in the LF driver, maybe due to the 500W RMS (750 w Peak) power. I heard a guitar backing track I don't remember hearing on that tune, but that may have been due to not sitting down with my face in the mix of that tune.

They were very open about it, saying, "if you want to hear them best, we put these four chairs in the sweet spot." I sat, rather than stood, basically because no one was in front of me and because that put me on axis with the tweeters. There were about ten people in this small space with the door shut.

There are three monitors in the line; two smaller less expensive and the Opal. The smaller ones have aluminum tweeters instead of beryllium, less power, smaller LF drivers and probably some other concessions.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford
February 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Ty Ford Unpacks the new Event Opal on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/3218424)

I have received a commission to review the set for Pro Audio Review.

Regards,

Ty

David W. Jones
February 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Are the enclosures made of covered particle board like the other Event offerings?

Ty Ford
February 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
David,

No. Cast (or forged) aluminum, as mentioned in the video.
Put down your previous thoughts concerning Event. Rode bought them about two years ago.

The Opals are entirely new from the ground (pun intended) up.

Ty Ford