View Full Version : Compact SLR (NON-digital)?

Rafael Lopes
August 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
...not sure this should be here...

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an old Compact SLR (NON-digital) for me to take to my trips. I've seen some leicas for around 300us$ ob ebay that looked very tempting. I want something really small but that can also allow me to use different lenses. Any thoughts?

thanks,

Rafa

Steve Phillipps
August 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM
The Voigtlanders are similar to Leicas but a whole lot cheaper.
Steve

Oren Arieli
August 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I would look at the older Nikon/Canon film cameras. You can usually 'reuse' those lenses with your future DSLR. Don't think you can do that with a Leica.

The Nikon 6006/8008 are bargains and you'll have money left over for some good lenses.

Chris Hurd
August 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Moved from A51 to Still Crazy.

Rafael Lopes
August 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks, fellas. I will check into the Voigtlanders

Steve Phillipps
August 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Rafael, I didn't see that you said SLRs, the Voigtlanders are compact rangefinders like the classic Leicas.
Good thing about film SLRs is that no-one wants them so they're dirt cheap. I had a Nikon F5 that was superb, and have had Canon F-1 and Nikon F3 which are also great but getting a bit old now.
Steve

Rafael Lopes
August 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Initially the leica and rollei REALLY got me excited, but then I sat down and thought that I'll be taking these cameras to my trips and I need to be able to take photos fast...older cameras do not have autofocus....inspite their amazing glass and ultra cool retro look.

After doing some browsing I think I may just end up with a compact film point and shoot. What I really miss is films' latitude and being able to take pictures with slide film and revealing it as regular film. What do you think? Any suggestions? Oh, I MUST have a good wide angle.

Steve Phillipps
August 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I love film too, and resisted the digital revolution for ages, but really there is no comparison, digital wins on alomst every front, in every range from lowly compact to top pro cameras - until you get upto 5x4"+ view cameras and the like where the lens movements and neg size start to win out, but not many folks will carry one of them around!
Really, shoot some test shots with a Nikon D50 or something and print to 12x10 and you'll be blown away. Plus you can correct errors in Photoshop, view your shots immediately to make sure all is OK, the list is endless (much though I hate to admit it!)
Steve

Rafael Lopes
August 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Man, I own a Nikon D40 and a Panasonic TZ4 and I simply don't see it yet. God knows I'm the biggest supported of digital ANYTHING around but I don't see it yet. Besides, it's bad enough it's so expensive to make films with celuloid :)

Steve Phillipps
August 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
What do you not see? There are virtually no pros anywhere in any field still using 35mm stills AFAIK. I hated to admit it but the argument with even something like a D40 is not whether it's superior to 35mm film but whether it's superior to 6x7 medium format and maybe beyond. Give in - we all have to eventually!
Steve

Rafael Lopes
August 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Now say "Give in to the dark side...It...is your...destiny!" ;-)

Shaun Roemich
August 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I have a Nikon F75 film camera that I've been considering selling that treated me amazingly well while I was still using film. One of the smallest bodies Nikon ever made in an SLR. I'd suggest you look into the F75 (I think it may be the N75 outside of North America) if compact and quality in 35mm film are your criteria.

Robert Lane
August 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Check out:

KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. (http://www.keh.com)

They're the largest source of all types of used cameras both film and digital.

They have an amazing selection of older, manual and autofocus film cameras from every manufacturer. Take your pick and enjoy.