View Full Version : ExpressCard w/Firewire Ports?

Denis Danatzko
August 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Anyone using one of these, e.g. Siig, Belkin, etc?

New laptop w/Vista 64 (but only a 4-pin firewire plug) won't recognize an nNovia unit. Looking for a solution, and it seems one of these cards would meet my needs.

Any suggestions on brand?

All knowledgeable input welcome.

Thanks.

Ray Bell
August 27th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I'm using the Siig one.... it has one firewire 800 and one firewire 400 port....

not as portable as you would think as you still have to use an optional power source
that Siig sells online... but it all does work well together.

Denis Danatzko
August 27th, 2008, 07:09 AM
... you still have to use an optional power source
that Siig sells online... but it all does work well together.

Do you mean the Expresscard requires an optional power source? Even when plugged into it's slot?
That's a surprise. I thought it would get power from the slot itself.
(Or am I being dense here)?

Thanks,
D

Ray Bell
August 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'm using the Lexar firewire 800 CF card reader with the Siig express card/firewire 800 interface....

With this configuration the Lexar will not turn on with just the Siig card, it needs the optional power source....

Thats when I run the laptop from battery... let me check tonight to see if the laptop
will power the setup if I use the AC power... it might work that way... I'll let you know

Ray Bell
August 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Checked the setup with the PC battery and the AC power source for the PC....

both ways I had to plug in the optional power source to power the reader...

Denis Danatzko
August 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Ray,
THANKS!

For my immediate needs, I can live with powering the external 1394 device with the AC/DC adapter.

My concern was finding an ExpressCard with 2 6-pin firewire ports that would work without fuss in Vista 64.

Thanks again for your feedback, and taking the extra step of checking the results.

Denis