View Full Version : Viewing HDV files in Quicktime

Joe Gaetani
August 29th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I recently filmed a seminar and captured all 17 hours of HDV footage in FCP. My client now wants to view all the footage, so I gave him the external that this project lives on. He hooked it up to his mac that does not have FCP and he can not watch the HDV clips. From what I have been able to gather, the only way to view these clips in quicktime is if you have FCP installed on the machine. Is this correct? Does anybody know a work-around for this? I really don't want to transcode 17 hours of footage...

If transcoding is my only option, any recommended formats?

Michael Wisniewski
August 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
ClipWrap (http://clipwrap.com/) might work.

Joe Gaetani
August 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks, but it didn't work. It wraps .m2t files (not sure what these are). All my HDV files are .mov.

Any other ideas?

Benjamin Hill
August 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I recently filmed a seminar and captured all 17 hours of HDV footage in FCP. My client now wants to view all the footage, so I gave him the external that this project lives on. He hooked it up to his mac that does not have FCP and he can not watch the HDV clips. From what I have been able to gather, the only way to view these clips in quicktime is if you have FCP installed on the machine. Is this correct? Does anybody know a work-around for this? I really don't want to transcode 17 hours of footage...

If transcoding is my only option, any recommended formats?

Does he have an up-to-date OS and latest version of Quicktime? How old is his machine? Those are some variables to look at as well.

Joe Gaetani
August 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM
yeah, he is up to date with everything.

William Hohauser
August 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
QuickTime Pro might have the needed codec decoders to view HDV.

Tim Dashwood
August 30th, 2008, 12:04 AM
The HDV Component (AppleHDVCodec.component) is what is missing and it is only installed with Final Cut Studio. You will find it in Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime on any Mac with FCP5 or newer installed.

ClipWrap won't work without it.

Dylan Pank
August 30th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I got HDV .movs to open and play in VLC player (http://www.videolan.org) which as far as I know, makes no connection to the Quicktime library at all so doesn't require anything other than its own installation.

Also, might installing Perian (http://www.perian.org) and MPEG streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html) work?

Joe Gaetani
September 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. I ended up re-encoding all the footage. I let it run over the weekend.

I tried VLC player and it did the same thing as QT, just audio, no video.

Is it possible to copy and paste the HDV Component onto different machines?

Matthew Pugerude
September 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
In the future you could capture the HDV to Prores and have the Client download the newly released Decoder for machines with out FCPS it works on Windows and Mac.

I know they are bigger files but they wont tie up your machine transcoding to a codec that the client could watch.

Aric Mannion
September 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
HDV is Mpeg 2! That's a $20 codec for QT, that's why it didn't work.

Dylan Pank
September 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not sure, but I don't think the $20 MPEG2 component actually opens up HDV, only SD quality MPEG2.

Aric Mannion
September 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not sure, but I don't think the $20 MPEG2 component actually opens up HDV, only SD quality MPEG2.

Really, but what's the difference? And if that's true why can you watch HDV on your computer? In any case I'm not recommending he buy the plug-in I just wanted to let him know it's a normal problem.

Michael Wisniewski
September 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Re: ClipWrap

Unfortunately, ClipWrap uses the same scheme as FCP, which locks you into only playing back the files on a Mac with FCP installed. But, when I emailed Mike Woodworth about this, he mentioned that ClipWrap files will play on a Mac with just the FCS Render Node? installed, so that might be something to look into. Would be interested if you get it to work this way.

As was mentioned before, this might be another way to go - Apple releases ProRes decoder for Mac & Windows (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-video-industry-news/128942-apple-releases-prores-decoder-mac-windows.html)

Michael Wisniewski
September 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Or vice versa, if you have access to Cineform HDLink on a PC, transcode your HDV footage to a Cineform .mov files. This is what I use as it's compatible with anything that has the Cineform codec installed both Macs & PCs, doesn't really matter what NLE is installed.

Dylan Pank
September 10th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Really, but what's the difference? And if that's true why can you watch HDV in your computer?

I admit I'm not 100% sure, but I do know that the appleHDV.component is separate from the mpeg2.component in the quicktime library. The appleHDV.component comes with the Pro Application Support package that gets installed as part of Final Cut Suite, and it can't be bought separately.