View Full Version : Should İ buy a JVC GY-HD 250 U OR DVCCAM

Bugra Dagdas
September 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
İ will be purchasing one camera for concert shooting event shooting and i cant decide between DVCAM DSR-400P AND JVC GY-HD 250U CAMERAS .İf you could help i would be thankful.And is gy-hd 250 a pro or prosumer level camera.

Brian Luce
September 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I'd say it depends on how and where you plan to distribute footage. In the USA HD isn't the future, it's the present--in Tajikistan it might be different. Two totally different cameras. SD and HD.

With regards to pro/prosumer/consumer, those lines have become blurry--especially with the RED Scarlett and even the new Nikon--I'd argue those terms represent a 1999 paradigm not the brave new world we live in.

Daniel Weber
September 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I think that he is from Turkey.

The JVC HD250 is a professional camera. It offers SDI out which the DVCAM doesn't. I think that you will find more DVCAM cameras in Turkey than JVC HDV cameras.

It really matters what you want to shoot. If you want a format that will be common with other users, then get the DVCAM. It has been around much longer.

But if you want a format that will future proof, then get the JVC or any other HD camera.

HD is now if you can afford it. I would be hard pressed to buy an SD camera right now.

Daniel Weber

Robert Adams
September 7th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hey, Bugra

The JVC will shoot both HDV and SD. So the format issue is not critical. The JVC is cheaper - it looks like you'll pay USD8000 for an HDR 400, and you'll have to buy a 2/3 inch lens, which will be at least another USD 3000.

I moved up from a DXCD 30 and DSR1 combo with a Canon J15 (which is a similar rig to the HDR400) to a JVC HD110 almost two years ago, and have not looked back, even though 90% of what I shoot is still in SD for European news broadcasters.

The JVC is lighter, easier to use, and takes better pictures than my old camera. It seems to be just as robust.

The only major issue for you might be that the 1/3 inch chip on the JVC is much less light-sensitive than the 2/3 inch chip on the Sony. Shooting concerts, in low-light situations, I should think that might be a concern for you.

Have you looked at the Sony HVR - 270? If you want a shoulder held, pro-format, HDV/SD switchable, light sensitive camera for around 10k USD, the 270 might fit the bill for you.

Best wishes

Rob Adams

Shaun Roemich
September 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Bugra: You are getting some great information here. Please allow me to contribute some more.

I am a proud HD200U owner but must say it's low light performance is fair, at best. If you will be shooting well-lit arena or theatre performances, you'll love the native 720P of the 250. If, however you'll be shooting in dark clubs, the JVC MAY not be your BEST choice.

As others have stated, as nice as the 400's image is, ultimately it is SD. HD can be EASILY down rez'ed to SD. SD, even GOOD SD, doesn't make the transition up to HD quite as well.

I own 2 HD200's now and don't regret the decision for a second but I do need to do more post production to get some exposure out of dimly lit club footage and find myself shooting at 6dB of video gain more often than I thought I would. The sensitivity of the HD2xx series is F8 at 2000 lux, I believe. Professional SD cameras have been at least F11 at 2000 lux for more than 10 years. The 1/3" chips will rob you of light.

Robert Adams
September 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Bugra, one other point you might want to consider: Unless you go for a firestore or nNovia hard drive with your JVC, you are limited to 63 minutes record time before you have to change tape. I think I'm right in saying that the tape transport on the Sony HDR 270 will handle the 184 minute large format DV tapes, and also has a built in SD hard drive recorder. So if you are recording concerts, you probably won't have change tapes or break your recording.

I guess this would be useful for you. I see from the reviews that the HDR also has a 1/3 inch chipset; but the Sony CMOS chips (though not perfect in other ways) have a very good low-light performance.

I have to note that I haven't seen an HDR 270, but it does look like a good bit of kit.

R

Bugra Dagdas
September 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you everyone for their help.You are the best comunity on internet about videography.İ lived in U.S.A for 3 years. And i think HD is the way to go.İ knew that but in Turkey people sad "JVC is small not a pro camcorder it is like xl1's it is a prosumer camcorder "
but i learned it's not and you agreed with me so İ am sure İ am going with the gy-hd 250

Bugra Dagdas
September 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
And do you think there is a gy-hd 250 ub coming in NAB 2009.

Robert Adams
September 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
İ am sure İ am going with the gy-hd 250

Cool. It's a great camera. Have fun. Happy shooting.

Shawn Anderson
September 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I have an HD100UA For sale if you like, Anton bauer, wide adapter. Email me if your interested. nomadtv@hotmail.com