View Full Version : I'm a GL2 Virgin...Not sure what to do yet!..LOL

Joe Abeleda
August 7th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Okay...I just opened the box which arrived in the mail this morning and I am gazing in awe..!!

I'm like holding this thing like a baby right now..

which brings me to my first question...how do you hold the GL2 for a long period of time? I do go to the gym, but Unlike Gov. Ahhhnuld, I'm still a girlie-man... My previous mini-dv camcorder was the miniscule DCR-PC105, about less than 1 lb., plus I bought the highest capacity battery (a.k.a. "the brick"). On top of that I also stuck on top of her my Canon Speedlight from my Eos elan 7 (which is pretty kewl to see how Canon allowed integration between the two) for stills if I need to take a few..The GL2 is Just a LITTLE bit heavier between my older one..haha. I will be using it for filming indoor sporting events, outdoor equestrian events, etc...but generally long days..

I've been experimenting with cradling her bottom with my left hand, right hand on the rocker, and her whole rear nestled against my chest for support (sounds like my first date at 16..LOL..=P..), and the LCD opened at a 45 degree angle so I can look down to view..

Also, I've been getting slammed by friends because Canon just announced the Optura 20, which she claims is the better deal, $1200+ with virtually the same features...but man, I just felt getting her was right thing to do because I want to film stuff and put them on DVDs to sell someday!

Anyhoo, sorry for the rambling...LOL..just excited about the new GL2!

Frank Granovski
August 7th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Sit down. Open the hand strap. Put your right hand in it. Now tighten---not too tight. Grip with your right fingers---the hand strap does the rest. Also, you can place your left palm on the bottom of the cam. Keep you elbows in, and breathe gently but deep. When you shoot, turn it on, flip out the LCD, point and press the record button. To pause, hit the button again. Now that was easy, wasn't it? For further instructions, consult your cam manual. :)

Aaron Koolen
August 7th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Hey Joe, glad to have you among the GL/XM2 camp. I hope you'll be as happy with the camera as I was (am) as it can take some truly nice footage for a camera of it's type.

For holding, I tend to use my left hand to hold the barrel, almost like I would a big pro cam or xl1s if I had one.

Another thing you might want to look into then is a shoulder mount which might help. Do a site search as I'm sure some have been mentioned, and I know Barry Goyette uses one with his Gl2.

Good luck and happy shooting.
Aaron

Bill Hardy
August 7th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I know how you may feel it is awkward to hold the GL2. You can't use the hand in the cam strap when you need to hold the cam at mid chest/waist level. Fortunately I have an L shaped brace that screws on the bottom of the GL2 tripod hole. The cam then sits on the bottom of the L and I hold the handle of the "L" with the left hand. The whole cam is much easier to hold in any way and the "L" hand grip (the left part of the "L") can be extended far enough out I can flip open the LCD. If anyone knows the technical term for this "L" hand brace please let me know because I am tired of calling it an "L" but don't know what I would do without it. It even folds into one piece for storage in the cam bag. I have had the "L" many years before purchasing the GL2 and don't remember where I bought it. But if you need a picture I can post one. It can practically fit in the palm of my hand and it is the simplest yet much valued thing of my GL2 accessories.

Nicholi Brossia
August 7th, 2003, 07:58 PM
I guess I just hold mine super goofy. I really feel comfortable holding all the weight in my right hand... index finger along the ouside of the strap (sort of pointing towards the lens), thumb on the zoom, and supporting the weight with the remaining three fingers under the base. Of course, my left hand is up front for focus and balance if necessary. I find this method to be much more versatile, almost like a mini jib arm that does what I tell it to. Just don't drop it.
I tried one of those goofy "sports" shoulder mounts that look like the bottom half of a rifle and didn't like it. You have to hold onto the handle, thus losing the use of that hand, and don't have much control over height or pan... just tilt.

I dunno.
nicholi

Ken Tanaka
August 7th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Welcome to DVInfo.net and to the GL2, Joe!

As you can see by the variety of replies there really is no single answer to your question. You'll need to experiment to determine what seems to work best for you. When handholding I tend to cradle the camera closer to my midsection.

One factor to keep in mind is that by practicing you will be training the muscles and nerves in your arms and shoulders to move and respond in new ways, even though the camera is quite light. It's no different from any athletic or dexterity exercise. So determine the configuration that seems most comfortable for you and stick with that configuration for a while.

Have fun!

Jason Balich
August 12th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Im a newbee also to filming and work out also. What i do is, make the shoulder strap short enough so it goes down and around your elbo that is holding the camea. This creates a strong brace and steadies the camera also. Makes using it so much better. Drop me a line and let me know how it goes.

Michael Westphal
August 12th, 2003, 08:29 PM
As Aaron and Nicholi, I usually use my left hand to hold the focus ring when in manual focus, and when I'm in auto, I just hold the handle with my left hand.

A friend who does a lot of sporting events and action documentaries has a different camera, but uses TWO "L" brackets, one on either side of his camera. He then uses the LCD and generally holds the camera waist to shoulder high. He is able to carry the camera in that manner for long periods of time. This last weekend he and I shot a Balloon Festival, and he did much better than I in lasting all day. As soon as he tells me where he bought his brackets, I can pass it on to you.

The optura 20 should be a nice camera, but I doubt it has the pro features of the GL2. I own an Optura pi, which is light, small, and takes good video, but it's not a GL2. I use it when I just want to grab quick video in good lighting, and as a backup camcorder. But the GL2 is the money-maker.

One more thought, you might try a monopod with a ball-head. It'll help stabilize the camera, but yet let you make quick moves. I also use mine as a quick 5' crane to get over the heads of crowds.

Joe Abeleda
August 13th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Hey, I'd like to give big thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions! I definitely feel a part of the GL2 family here!

Joe