View Full Version : Simple low light question

Bo Smith
August 7th, 2003, 04:46 PM
I currently have a Sony DCR-PC9 camcorder. I'm also looking for a new 3chip camera. Most of my shooting is done at night, so I need a better low light camera. Is the GL2 a better low light camera then what I have?

-Bo

Alex Knappenberger
August 7th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Yes, the GL2 would be better at night, but your best bet would be a Sony VX2000, which you can find for around the same price.

Don Palomaki
August 7th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Don't forget that the GL2 has a $250 rebate now.

Andre Viol
August 7th, 2003, 10:23 PM
yes, just to make the decision harder...

Ken Tanaka
August 7th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Bo,
When you say most of your shooting is done at night, what do you really mean?

Bo Smith
August 7th, 2003, 11:57 PM
I'm making a motocross movie, and alot of the races are on wed. nights. So I need a better low light camera. An on camera light just wouldn't work because it's outside at night. Very few of the races happen durring the daylight hours, maybe 4 total. This season there are 15 night races.

-Bo

Ken Tanaka
August 8th, 2003, 10:43 AM
I see. To be honest, Sony beats Canon in such dim light conditions. I'd recommend trying a VX2000 first. A rebate is only worth considering if it's for a product that meets your needs.

You'll want to looks at Torajima's recent casual comparison (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12918) of these cameras. He points out several other ergonomic/usability factors as well.

Joe Sacher
August 8th, 2003, 02:53 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Bo Smith : I'm making a motocross movie, and alot of the races are on wed. nights. So I need a better low light camera. An on camera light just wouldn't work because it's outside at night. Very few of the races happen durring the daylight hours, maybe 4 total. This season there are 15 night races.

-Bo -->>>

Surely they light up the track at night? If the track was dark enough that the Canon couldn't get decent video, then the riders couldn't safely ride.

Bo Smith
August 8th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Yeah, the track has lights, it's just my current cameras low-light capablilities are not as good as I want them to be. I have been looking at the VX2000, but I have heared it's going to be replaced in Feb., and I want the longer zoom on the canon. The race season is almost over, so I won't be getting anything new till around next Feb or March.

-Bo

Bo Smith
August 12th, 2003, 09:23 AM
How does the DVX100 stand-up against the VX2000 and the GL2 in the low light department? I'm intrested because a friend of mine is about to graduate from college (he took some summer classes to finish his requirements early) and for a final project he has to write and direct a short film. He's asked me to help plan, shoot, and edit his short. Now both of us want it to look like it was shot on film. So since I'm in the market for a new camera, and there are no local places to rent out cameras. Would the DVX still be able to handle my low light shooting during the night motocross events. And are there visable artifacts (pixelation/distortion?) when you do a quick pan in 24P, like I have heard?

-Bo

Richard R Rivera
August 12th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Sony has made a nice camcorder the VX 2000 and i had it , but at night it will make every thing a blur if you dont set it properly. The Canon gl2 White balances good at night and can pick up the race good as long as you dont put it in frame mode. other than that the Canon GL2 id say is the better deal plus you get a 250 rebate. the VX2000 cost more than the GL2 and i dont see it beating the Gl2 if any thing it ties it.

Canon has better lens than sony and thats why i pick Canon. Ofcourse this is my opion and other might disagree with me on this suject. I work in the news industry and they use mostly JVC and Hitiach cameras and Canon is now going to be their standard in DV cameras.

If feel that you should try renting a Canon GL2 and test it out at night before buying one or any other camera. Some times its just better to see if you like the feel of it before buy or passing judgement it. well i hope this helped you out any. have fun and as i always say, shoot it before its gone.