View Full Version : WHat is the LUX on JVC 201EB camera

Robert Bec
September 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I have a friend who is tell me the low LUX on the camera is 1.5lux but i think it is 3lux who is correct

Rob

Liam Hall
September 14th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I don't think 'lux' is a good measure of a cameras sensitivity. It's a more appropriate measure for a lamps output.

Having said that, you could both be right since the cameras sensitivity will change depending on the chosen gamma set-up and frame rate.

What can be said is the HD*** series aren't the greatest low-light performers. But then you can't have everything...

Tim Dashwood
September 14th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I have a friend who is tell me the low LUX on the camera is 1.5lux but i think it is 3lux who is correct

Rob

If I remember correctly I think the official base rating using default settings is ƒ8 @ 2000 lux (0 dB gain.)
I've never been able to get my head around lux and instead think in terms of footcandle readings and ISO/ASA ratings. IMHO the ProHD cameras would rate at around 200 ASA in default settings at 0dB gain. However the apparent sensitivity can be adjusted drastically in the DSP allowing you to rate it as high as 640ASA.

Steve Oakley
September 15th, 2008, 10:04 PM
at 24P, think its closer to 320. then again, it totally depends on how you have your gamma, gamma type, black stretch / compress, ped, and hilight clipping set to. gamma is probably the most important setting and I tend to run it at min or max depending on the shot, once in a while in the middle,but that tends to be a bit bland.