View Full Version : Sony to license XDCAM EX file format to JVC

Johnnie Behiri
September 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Sony : Sony to license XDCAM EX file format to JVC : United Kingdom (http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_GB&contentId=1220875364293&parentFlexibleHub=1217404941193)

Geoff Murillo
September 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Can't wait to see a JVC HD200-like camera with 1080p at a 35Mbps data rate.

Tim Dashwood
September 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
This is new on the JVC website

KA-MR100G (http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/pics.jsp?model_id=MDL101824&feature_id=04)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachments/digital-video-industry-news/9006d1221248219-ibc-news-jvc-alliance-sony-support-xdcam-ex-jvc-gyhd250-kamr100g.jpg

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachments/digital-video-industry-news/9008d1221248219-ibc-news-jvc-alliance-sony-support-xdcam-ex-jvc-kamr100gw.jpg

Drew Cusick
September 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM
It looks so big, jeesh.

I dont have the hard drive, but would you say its pretty comparable to that in size?

James Espy
September 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I wonder if it only comes in the V mount?

Chris Hurd
September 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Photos and full copies of the press releases are right here on DV Info Net:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-video-industry-news/130698-ibc-news-jvc-alliance-sony-support-xdcam-ex.html

Basically what this means is that all GY-HD200 and 250 series cameras
can now become Sony XDCAM EX format recordable, if you so desire.

Glen Vandermolen
September 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
So the HD200/250 line will now be able to record at 35mbps? That's quite an improvement. You think the camera will now get a Silver rating by Discovery HD, just like the Sony EX line? Or will those 1/3" chips be a detriment?

Brian Luce
September 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Us HD100 and 110 guys get no respect. :(

Brian Standing
September 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
How does it connect to the camera? Through firewire or HD-SDI?

Tim Dashwood
September 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM
So the HD200/250 line will now be able to record at 35mbps? That's quite an improvement. You think the camera will now get a Silver rating by Discovery HD, just like the Sony EX line? Or will those 1/3" chips be a detriment?

Not according to the specs. 25mbps for 1080i from a HD200B. 19.2Mbps for 720p on HD200/250. It seems the camera's encoder is still being used.
For now this really just means you can record directly to XDCAM EX format on a SxS card. For now there is no image quality improvement over HDV.
How does it connect to the camera? Through firewire or HD-SDI?
68-pin multi-connector.

Steve Mullen
September 13th, 2008, 03:35 AM
"Future products from JVC will attach directly to the KA-MR100G."

At NAB I learned that the "components" on display in the booth could/would be assembled INTO future camcorders -- meaning the 200/250 series isn't obviously going to be the last camcorder ever built by JVC.

Which means hard-drives and solid-state can go from plug-ON options to built-IN functions.

So wait for NAB 2009 to see what can come of this relationship.

One has to wonder if JVC will function the way Toshiba did in the 89-91 period when Toshiba assembled a very nice PRO Hi8 camcorder using Sony parts. The problem was it was almost identical to the Sony.

With HDV, Sony and JVC split the market by 720p and 1080i. That worked nicely for both companies.

One option I could see is that JVC taking the lead in 1080p60 camcorders. This might work because JVC has, IMHO, always been the company that jumped first while Sony waits a year or two. There's a lot of infra-structure to get into place for world-wide use of 1080p60.

One can imagine a large European customer wanting camcorders in 2009 and finding Sony not ready and so they got the two companies together to build a 1080p50 camcorder ASAP. Don't rule-out a small lightweight unit for ENG. Think Sony Z7 and/or S270.

PS: Moreover, it seems JVC is using a modified version of Sony's ClearVid CMOS chips in it's latest consumer camcorder which nicely records both MPEG-2 or AVCHD.

Brian Standing
September 13th, 2008, 07:35 AM
68-pin multi-connector.

Huh? I just own a measly HD100. But I've been pouring over the specs for the HD200 at B&H, and I don't see any such connector listed for the Input/Output connectors, just:

FireWire: 6-Pin (x1 Input, x1 Output)
Component Video: 3-BNC (x1 Output)
Composite Video: RCA (x1 Output)
Audio Input: XLR (x2)
Audio Output: RCA (x1) Headphone: Stereo Mini (x2)
Remote: DIN 6-Pin

Am I missing something?

Are we sure it isn't really just a firewire connection in disguise? That would make sense if it's limited to 25mbps XDCAM.

Tim Dashwood
September 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
...Are we sure it isn't really just a firewire connection in disguise? That would make sense if it's limited to 25mbps XDCAM.
You could be right. I'm just going by the specs but it looks like this device requires connection to the interface plate of the HD200/250 form factor. There must be some sort of direct internal connection since this recorder becomes a semi-permanent attachment to the camera.

I've had the AB plate off of the HD200/250 a few times and don't remember seeing any other ports in there but I did take photos of the procedure (to mount the L-shaped accessory plate) so I'll take a closer look.

Craig Yanagi
September 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I wonder if it only comes in the V mount?

The battery mount will be that of the camcorder you own. So, in the US the battery mount will be Anton Bauer. You can also purchase the IDX mount separately if you prefer to use a V-mount, or have large Sony brick V-mount batteries.

Craig Yanagi
September 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM
You could be right. I'm just going by the specs but it looks like this device requires connection to the interface plate of the HD200/250 form factor. There must be some sort of direct internal connection since this recorder becomes a semi-permanent attachment to the camera.

I've had the AB plate off of the HD200/250 a few times and don't remember seeing any other ports in there but I did take photos of the procedure (to mount the L-shaped accessory plate) so I'll take a closer look.

The multi-pin connector will serve as a multi-function connection. That's why a special adapter (KAUM100) is also being developed as the interface between the ProHD 200 series camcorders and the KAMR100. We're studying the best method to implement the adapter, and both the KAMR100 XDCAM EX dockable recorder and KAUM100 interface will be out at the same time.

Brian Standing
September 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hi, Craig

Thanks for weighing in on this. Will there be any way to connect the XDCAM EX recorder to the HD100/HD110?

If not, will JVC be developing some kind of solid-state based recording solution for the HD100/HD110 line? Something along the lines of the recently-announced Sony compact flash recorder?

Marc Jayson
September 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
KAMR100 IBC 2008 spinning around.

JVC HD-251 with SxS System on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1725620)

Craig Yanagi
September 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Hi, Craig

Thanks for weighing in on this. Will there be any way to connect the XDCAM EX recorder to the HD100/HD110?

No.

If not, will JVC be developing some kind of solid-state based recording solution for the HD100/HD110 line? Something along the lines of the recently-announced Sony compact flash recorder?

The only dockable solid state media recording device we have in development is the KAMR100.

Gavin Owens
September 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Will this system offer High definition Timelapse recording? I'm currently in the market for a solid state device and the abilty to record timelapse in HD is the deal clincher.
Thanks
Gavin

Steve Mullen
September 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi, Craig

If not, will JVC be developing some kind of solid-state based recording solution for the HD100/HD110 line?

I hear the lust for something other than tape, but when one really looks at the COMPLETE workflow (cost and time), IMHO MiniDV tape simply can't be beat.

With Mike's ClipWrap you can import to FCP from a computer disk much like it were a camcorder disk or SxS card.

Of course, there is still the capture and conversion time, BUT were Mike to offer a version of ClipWrap with two new features you could have near "non-tape" experience.

1) Apple provides DVHScap as a kit that can be added to any program. So a tape import function could be added to ClipWrap fairly easily.

2) If anyone has used iMovie 08's HDV import function -- after firewire capture -- you see each clip in a light-table matrix and can preview each clip. Don't like it -- unclick IMPORT.
If ClipWrap had this, only the clips you wanted would be converted.

This gives the tape user the same kind of import experience as does the Sony Clip Browser. If you eliminate 50% of clips up-front you are a long way toward starting editing. And, you still have your Master tape for safe keeping!

Software like this could extend the life of the HD100 and HD110. For many who shoot 24p, these cameras are perfect.

Greg Boston
September 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I hear the lust for something other than tape, but when one really looks at the COMPLETE workflow (cost and time), IMHO MiniDV tape simply can't be beat.

I did... 2 1/2 years ago. XDCAM Optical was a no-brainer, offering cost per disc equal to other professional tape formats, faster than real time transfer, the ability to remove wasted shots from the disc while still acquiring, etc. The list goes on and on.

Used to it's full potential, there's no tape system that's anywhere near as efficient in both time and cost.

The cards are a bit pricey, but still offer the advantages over tape during the acquisition process.

And the NUMBER ONE REASON why tape isn't as good... You can't accidentally erase over your material with disc or card. It doesn't happen... period.

-gb-

Jim Boda
September 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Not according to the specs. 25mbps for 1080i from a HD200B. 19.2Mbps for 720p on HD200/250. It seems the camera's encoder is still being used.
For now this really just means you can record directly to XDCAM EX format on a SxS card. For now there is no image quality improvement over HDV.

68-pin multi-connector.

Hmmm, that's a bit confusing. So, the initial option will be an XDCAM compressed version of an existing HDV compressed signal?

Brian Luce
September 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
And, you still have your Master tape for safe keeping!

This is a big point for me; Archive. A point that gets lost IMHOP in all the tapeless excitement...

Craig Yanagi
September 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, that's a bit confusing. So, the initial option will be an XDCAM compressed version of an existing HDV compressed signal?

That's correct. The initial capability of the KAMR100 will be to take in the video signal via IEEE 1394, internally, and wrap the signal into an XDCAM EX file.

Gavin Owens
September 15th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Will this system offer High definition Timelapse recording? I'm currently in the market for a solid state device and the abilty to record timelapse in HD is the deal clincher.
Thanks
Gavin

Any chance of an answer???

Craig Yanagi
September 15th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks
Gavin

The GYHD250 does not have time lapse recording capability. The KAMR100 does not have time lapse recording capability currently in its specifications.

Gavin Owens
September 16th, 2008, 12:44 AM
The GYHD250 does not have time lapse recording capability. The KAMR100 does not have time lapse recording capability currently in its specifications.

Pity....I was aware that the camera couldn't do so but I was hoping the next range of solid state recorders could provide a solution.Surely it's a basic need for cameras these days.
Thanks for you response
Gavin