View Full Version : MR-HD100 Hard Disk Recorder with WiFi real-time logging

Tim Dashwood
September 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM
JVC today announced the MR-HD100 Hard Disk Recorder.

This recorder is more compact than the DR-HD100 but has the new feature of real-time logging via a wi-fi connection to a portable device like a laptop, iTouch or iPhone.
The MR-HD100 can record all 720p & 1080i HDV to m2t, quicktime or mxf formats (720p30 or 1080i only for mxf.) Keep in mind that the HD200B is the only ProHD camera currently capable of 1080i output via firewire.

The hard drive can also be formatted as UDF to avoid the file size limitations of FAT-32 format (DR-HD100.)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachments/digital-video-industry-news/9007d1221248219-ibc-news-jvc-alliance-sony-support-xdcam-ex-jvc-mrhd100wifi.jpg Nokia N810 is shown in the photo (not included with MR-HD100.)

I'm not sure if the wi-fi adapter stick is included with the product.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JVC Unveils MR-HD100 Camera Mounted Portable Hard Disk Drive Media Recorder
with Wi-Fi and Metadata Capabilities
Unit Combines Native File Recording with Real-Time Wireless Metadata Input

Amsterdam, The Netherlands (September 12, 2008) – JVC announces the introduction of the MR-HD100U hard disk drive (HDD) that is Wi-Fi accessible to enable users to wirelessly log customized Metadata in real time while shooting in the field. The MR-HD100 is the latest addition to JVC’s ProHD line of products that provide the fastest and most efficient shoot-to-air HD workflow in the industry with its native file recording capability.

Through the use of any compatible wireless device, broadcast and video professionals can access the MR-HD100 to define metadata and assign it to video while recording. This capability saves hours spent reviewing, logging and tagging footage in post-production, further demonstrating JVC’s seamless shoot-to-air workflow.

“Metadata input in the field has been long sought after in the professional production community. The MR-HD100 is a revolutionary device that brings this time-saving capability to the marketplace at an exceptionally low cost,” said Craig Yanagi, National Marketing Manager, Creation Products, JVC Professional Products Company. “Combined with JVC’s Native File Recording technology, the industry’s fastest and most efficient workflow has now become the most intuitive.”

The MR-HD100 features an easy to use menu system and enables users to record in a wide range of HDV and DV formats. The MR-HD100 records natively as both .m2t file format and QuickTime .mov files in 720p24/25/30/50/60 and 1080i 50/60 frame rates, as well as .mxf 720p30 and 1080i 50/60 for Avid non-linear editing systems. By recording files in an editing-friendly native format, post-production can begin without file conversion, transcoding or rewrapping. With quick and seamless direct file access, the MR-HD100 is extremely beneficial for video production in time sensitive situations.

The lightweight, portable MR-HD100 can be easily mounted to JVC’s award-winning ProHD Series of professional camcorders to provide extended recording times of up to 10 hours. Additional features include support for UDF to enable recording up to 1.5 hours in a single DV/HDV file, a 1.8-inch internal disk drive that is extremely rugged and shock resistant, and a fan-less design for extremely quiet operation.

The suggested list price of the MR-HD100 is $2,495 and is scheduled to ship this month. For more information about JVC’s MR-HD100, please visit JVC’s Web site at JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY (http://www.jvc.com/pro).

Brian Standing
September 13th, 2008, 07:37 AM
This is the ProHD version of the Firestore FS-5, right?

Tim Dashwood
September 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
This is the ProHD version of the Firestore FS-5, right?

Exactly. Just as the DR-HD100 is the ProHD version of the FS-4 Pro.

The basic difference with the MR-HD100 is that you can record 720p24/25/50/60 directly into quicktime.

Craig Yanagi
September 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
That's correct, but just as the DR-HD100 is unique to the other FireStore devices, the MRHD100 has power and start/stop trigger interface, operation display in the viewfinder (which has saved a number of reported shoots), full frame rate recording capabilities of ProHD for .m2t, .mov and now for the currently supported 720p @19.7 Mbps .mxf frame rates. Avid is stating that full compatibility is coming soon.

Also, to answer Tim, the MRHD100 comes with the 802.11g WiFi dongle and mounting cage standard - these two are options on the FS-5. We are also including a custom IEEE 1394 cable with right angle connectors on both ends to improve connection integrity and cable management.

If the demand is there, we're also thinking about carrying the custom FireWire cables as a line item which can be used for the DRHD100. NOTE: The right angle connector for the DRHD100 will be different as the MRHD100 IEEE 1394 connector is facing in the opposite direction (wasn't my decision, so please hold your comments...).

Tim Dashwood
September 13th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Also, to answer Tim, the MRHD100 comes with the 802.11g WiFi dongle and mounting cage standard - these two are options on the FS-5. We are also including a custom IEEE 1394 cable with right angle connectors on both ends to improve connection integrity and cable management.

If the demand is there, we're also thinking about carrying the custom FireWire cables as a line item which can be used for the DRHD100.

Awesome! I'd buy a short cable with two right-angle connectors.

Claude Mangold
September 15th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Tim, we ordered two double-angled cables at this address:
FireWire Cable, 6pin to 6pin, Plus New Extension Cables (http://www.usbfirewire.com/fcable66.html)
it's much safer using these out in the field, but there's an issue because setting down the cam without mattebox rails puts strain on the plug which is too rigid. The strain is passed on to the connector.

If the new recorder has hars connections that would be a huge improvement.

Craig, does JVC (Europe, in my case) contemplate some kind of part-trade-in program for us poor guys who bought an expensive DR-HD100 less than a year ago ? (and chose the GY-HD251 over the XDCAM EX)

Robert Bale
September 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Ok i have a question, i was about to get the new Focus FS-5, i now se this new HDD from jcv, i like the price as well, so when will they be out for sale who will sell them and is the one unit do PAL/NTSC as i am in Australia but need to shoot some things in both formats sometimes.

When firmware update come out can they be done online.

Any help please

Craig Yanagi
September 17th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Craig, does JVC (Europe, in my case) contemplate some kind of part-trade-in program for us poor guys who bought an expensive DR-HD100 less than a year ago ? (and chose the GY-HD251 over the XDCAM EX)

The DRHD100 will continue as a line item for JVC in the US as it is on a different application and price level compared to the MRHD100. I do not have any information on how these models will be handled in the other parts of the world.

Robert Bale
September 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
That's correct, but just as the DR-HD100 is unique to the other FireStore devices, the MRHD100 has power and start/stop trigger interface, operation display in the viewfinder (which has saved a number of reported shoots), full frame rate recording capabilities of ProHD for .m2t, .mov and now for the currently supported 720p @19.7 Mbps .mxf frame rates. Avid is stating that full compatibility is coming soon.

If the demand is there, we're also thinking about carrying the custom FireWire cables as a line item which can be used for the DRHD100. NOTE: The right angle connector for the DRHD100 will be different as the MRHD100 IEEE 1394 connector is facing in the opposite direction (wasn't my decision, so please hold your comments...).

So Craig when will they be for retail sale

rob.

Shawn Anderson
September 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Ive searched everywhere and noone will make them unless I order 200. Would love it if someone pushed for these, Im suprised its taken this long. YES PLEASE!

Robert Bale
September 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi guys, can any one get or find any more info on where i can buy one of these..

MR-HD100

Thanks Rob.

Rani Korkise
September 2nd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Hey guys!

Sorry to revive this ancient thread because I couldn't find any relevant threads (especially recent ones)...

I'm using JVC ProHD 201EB and want to go tapeless, so I just wanted to know what options do I have out there, I looked at some models like MR-HD100 and DRHD100GB100...

I was wondering what other option are out there? I'm guessing a 60GB hdd will be enough for me...
I would also like it to have the option to record 1080P.

P.S Budget is a huge bonus since I need 2 HDD's. Also I'm a n00b when it comes to going tapeless so useful info is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Alonzo Love
September 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Focus Enhancements FS-200, or Datavideo .com

Marty Jenoff
September 4th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I recently got the MR HD 100 for my HD200. So far I've been happy with it, but I've only had it for a few weeks.