View Full Version : İs Jvc gy-hd 250 Future proof

Bugra Dagdas
September 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM
İ am seriously thinking of ordering a GY-hd 250u but İ am concerned about it because this camcorder was announced in NAB 2006 so do you think it's little bit old and they will replace the Pro-hd series with a new line up soon.

Steve Phillipps
September 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Two things are less than ideal to my mind; first it's 720 and you really do get the feeling that eventually everyone will want 1080 (at least!); secondly it's tape, which definitely seems to be dwindling in popularity (and you can see why when you use any non-tape system).
Also, little 1/3" chips seem a bit limited for professional use these days (look at the Sony EX 1/2" cams).
Just my thoughts.
Steve

Brian Standing
September 15th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it recording to tape. There are lots of tapeless options for the HD250, with more on the way. See:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-hd-acquisition-systems/130721-mr-hd100-hard-disk-recorder-wifi-real-time-logging.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-hd-acquisition-systems/130685-sony-license-xdcam-ex-file-format-jvc.html

Just be prepared to plunk down a few extra bucks to add tapeless recording.

Steve's other points are more serious considerations. 720p is still widely used in the broadcast world, though.

Brian Luce
September 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I don't think a 720p camera could ever be considered future proof.

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I don't think any camera could ever be considered future proof.

do you think... they will replace the Pro-hd series with a new line up soon.I seriously doubt it.

Shaun Roemich
September 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Depends on what you consider "future proof".

I JUST bought my second HD200 (my first was purchased 4 months ago) with the intention that they are a 2 - 3 year solution for me as a "main" camera system and will be relegated to my multi-camera live switched kit after I develop a business model that allows me to justify a Sony XDCam422 purchase, again in 2 to 3 years.

Brian Standing
September 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM
One of the great benefits of using slightly outdated technology and staying off the "bleeding edge" is there's lots of good used gear around, so you can save tons of money. This is especially true for the JVC ProHD line. I'm seeing lots of great deals in the classified section of DVINfo. Use the money you save for stuff that NEVER becomes obsolete, like tripods, scrims and good microphones.

The other great benefit is that most of the bugs of slightly older technology have been worked out. So you can spend more time shooting, and less time troubleshooting.