View Full Version : GL2 Defects

Joe Garnero
August 12th, 2003, 11:13 AM
I searched but could not figure where to place this post, so here goes...

I am currently in the market for a camcorder. I've tried 2 GL2's and each had the same problem with the viewfinder.

Problem: The EVF will not maintian focus when tilted.

Example: Point the cam at your feet. Focus the EVF (best if focus is on the data display not the image.) Now slowly tilt the camera upward. On the cameras I had the viewfinder (or something therin) would suddenly slip and the focus lost. Refocusing the EVF would restore focus but now moving back down causes the focus to jump again!

As I say, I've experienced this with two GL2's from B&H. They were recent manufacture (at least they had received them within a couple of weeks). I called Canon to see what was up and they said there is no history of any problems with the Camera (as I expected). So I am appealing to this group for testing.

Bud Kuenzli
August 12th, 2003, 10:16 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest your post is somewhat confusing.
First you say the problem is the EVF will not maintain a focus when it is tilted but then you give an example of the camera being tilted upward without regard to the EVF. You use the phrase "focus the EVF". I assume you are referring to the LCD since there is no EVF involved but you don't focus the LCD, you either manually focus the camera or you let it focus automatically. ( I do note that pg 44 of the manual refers to EVF, but that's the only reference I see). If you are trying to say when you move the camera the auto-focus doesn't react for you, all I can say is most people's GL2's work properly in this regard. Perhaps you can rephrase your question more carefully or explain where I have completely gone awry. I don't understand the idea of focusing the EVF on the data display and not the image. Can you explain that?

Ken Tanaka
August 13th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Joe,
By "EVF" I assume you refer to the GL2's eyepiece viewfinder, not the LCD.

I do not encounter this problem but imagine that it might be due to one of three situations.
1. You have adjusted the dioptric setting of the eyepice but have not locked the viewfinder tube into full extension.

2. You wear variable field focus eyeglasses, such as Varilux, or contact lenses which might be shifting your close-focus as you tilt your head.

3. You have a loose eyepiece lens.

Anyway, further discussion on this topic might be pointless since it sounds like you've already ditched your second GL2 due to this "problem".

Joe Garnero
August 13th, 2003, 07:54 AM
OK ! My first question was a bit confusing. The test is with regard to the eyepiece, it has nothing to do with the auto focus or LCD. In fact the test I suggest is best performed with the lense cap on.

What I have experienced with the two previous GL2' is when I adjust the diopter of the viewfinder (eyepiece) everything looks fine. When I tilt the camera up, it appears something inside the eyepiece moves and the viewfinder loses focus. Tilting back down it may change back. If I hold the camera tight to my head, with the eyepiece near my ear, I can hear a faint clunk. This clunk is an obvious indication of a loose component.

I think this is a defect, but I want to know if it is a problem with this model in general, or did I get two cameras from a bad batch?

I have not given up on the GL2. I just think for $2000 everything should work. I've been reading the forums for some time and this one convinced me to buy the GL2, but since I am a viewfinder shooter, this does me no good.

Thank you for replying. I will try to be less hasty and more concise in future postings.

Federico Dib
August 13th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Hi.. I own an XM2... when I read your post I thought it was just very bad luck you had with the cams... but I decided to give it a test and this is what I found...

When I tilt the Cam towards the ceiling.. at about 35š upwards something does indeed happens in the viewfinder.. it looses focus for a split second (it sure seems something physical happening) but in my case it regains focus again very fast...

It also happens when doing the opposite (Tilt down).. but itīs less noticeable.

JOE:
You really are very observative... Iīve been using my cam for a few months now and didnīt notice it... Actually it was only after I made the test with the lens cap on.. that I was able to see this..

This "defect" doesnīt truly interfere with my work at all... but you are right.. at 2000$ this shouldnīt happen...

KEN:

1. - The eyepiece is well adjusted and well locked all the way out when testing.. (it also happens with the eyepiece all the way in.. all the way in the middle.. at 3/4..etc.. )..

2. - Iīve 20-20 sight... no glasses no contact lenses... just perfect sight.. test done a few months ago for bad migraines.. but thatīs for another forum)...

3. - I donīt think it would be a loose EYE-PIECE.. (well maybe it is) but it is strange that only happens on the same angle when tilting.. and also strange that 2 GL in NY have this issue.. and an XM here in Spain has something really similar...

So my guess itīs just some cheap pieces for the ViewFinder... (actually I think that after the LCD the Viewfinder is the "worst" or "less good" component of the cam... )..

***NEW TEST RESULT***
Iīve made the test with the eye piece at different angles... and it happens allways when tilting the cam and breaking the 35š line (relative to the floor) of the eyepiece... So it doesnīt matter if you are tilting from your feet to the floor or whatever... Itīs definitely a physical thing on the Viewfinder...

Ken Tanaka
August 13th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Well fellows you've just spotted a new GL2 oddity and added to our DVInfo.Net "database" of knowledge! Try as I might, and I mightily tried, I could not induce the phenomenon you're observing. I tilted up, tilted down, tilted left, tilted right and my eyepiece retains focus.

I assume that you did pay the extra $50 to get the "Pro" viewfinder for your GL2's, didn't you?

<Just kidding!>

Thanks for this note. Anyobody else seeing this quirck in their GL2 or XM2?

Brian Huey
August 13th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Arrrg! I never would have noticed that if you didn't mention it!

I decided to give my GL2 the test and as I tilt up to about 80-90 degrees or down to around 45 degrees there is sometimes a soft audible *click* and the picture jumps a little bit.

It seems that a piece of glass or something (the piece attached to the adjuster?) isn't held in there perfectly tight and shifts at certain angles. This causes the picture to jump, slightly and lose focus a bit for a fraction of a second while my eye readjusts.

Very observant Joe, you could just use the LCD when tilting from the floor to the ceiling!

Cheers,
Huey

Rob Talley
August 14th, 2003, 05:17 AM
I can't seem to make mine do it.

I tried the positions indicated in Joe's post and the eyepeice stays in focus. No click/clunk or change is evident.

Bob Harotunian
August 14th, 2003, 06:59 AM
We have 2 GL2s and neither one produces these oddities. One is 10 months old and the other, 2 months.

Roger Hess
August 19th, 2003, 12:04 PM
My new GL2 had the same problem with the viewfinder. The clicking sound you hear is the sliding lens frame ( for the lens nearest your eye) flopping back and forth due to sloppy tolerances on the plastic parts. The slightest bit of friction on the lens frame will preload it and prevent this from happening, which may account for why only some units show the problem.

I removed the cover from the viewfinder and used a toothpick to place a very small dab of heavy grease on the sliding parts. Damping grease or stopcock grease is probably best. It is an easy fix, but do so at your own risk.

Good Luck.

Roger H

Lars Siden
August 20th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Hi,

Just did the test....and my cam behaves the same... a very faint "click" and the topmost part in the viewfinder goes slightly out of focus.... the focus isn't properly restored until the cam is at 0 degrees.

Can't say it really matters, the recorded material is still in perfect focus.

// Lazze - Sweden

Jason Keene
August 20th, 2003, 08:04 PM
MINE DOES THAT TOO! I just about died when I read this post. I noticed the same thing on my GL2 shortly after buying it. It's definitely the eyepiece adjuster, and if you shoot from a low extreme to the high extreme there is a little plop and the focus goes out until you re-set it. (the diopter adjust underneath the eyepiece). Most of the time it's manageable, but if you're using very extreme angles it can be a pain in the butt to be sure. I was thinking of having it looked at by Canon while its still under warranty but I haven't gotten around to it yet. THIS IS DIFINITELY NOT A ONE CAMERA FLUKE!