View Full Version : Camera use on a long run

Tim Pearce
September 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Hi,
I was thinking about recording a long trail 50km ultra marathon. The two issues right now are power and support. I have two options.

1. Use my GL2. I have the standard 1hr and an extra 2hr battery. The race sight MIGHT have power outlets where I could plug in a charger but I wouldn't want to count on it. Tis camera would give better image quality but it's also a lot heavier (1.3kg with battery - approx 3 lbs).

2. I also have a smaller 1CCD Sony DCR-HC32. I bought this as a cheap way to capture my footage into my computer to save head wear on my GL2 and I haven't really shot with it. I only have the standard battery that comes with the camera. It's a lot lighter than the GL2 (460g - 1lb with battery and tape included). Despite the better image quality of the GL2, it might be better to run with the cheaper sony just in case anything happens to it.

Do you have any suggestions for:
1. support systems for either camera.
2. rain protection for either camera.
3. power solutions for either camera.

Thanks for any help!

Annie Haycock
September 19th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I can only compare the GL2 (I had one before the XH A1) with the Sony HVR A1. If I wanted to be mobile, I'd use the Sony. Much easier to handhold (I assume you don't want to carry a full-sized tripod), much lighter to carry. But do get a bigger battery, preferably the biggest you can find, plus a spare!

Support - I usually carry a small lightweight tripod for use with the Sony. But it depends on the conditions (I wouldn't bother with it in the wind) and what you are trying to film. I suspect, though I haven't tried it, that a "gorillapod" sold for SLR cameras would support the Sony on a fence rail or something similar.

Rain protection - plastic bags and rubber bands will do the trick, though paying out for something more substantial will give you better peace of mind. Or carry a folding umbrella.

This will fit easily into a fanny pack, or (with a tripod) into a Lowepro slingshot 200.