View Full Version : GL2 Accessories

Phillip Coolman
August 17th, 2003, 10:38 AM
There has been a recent thread asking for pictures of various set ups. I am in the throes of purchasing a GL2 after using a Canon ZR25 for a couple of years. I would like to see a sample listing of the accessories various people have purchased and use.

Thanks, Phil

Ron Johnson
August 17th, 2003, 10:56 AM
1. An external zoom/focus LANC controller. I use the VariZoom Stealth and never leave the house without it. This is essential for tripod use and the GL2's fantastic 20x optics.

2. Mic mixer / XLR mic adapter. I have two and which one I use depends on the situation. If the camera doesn't move at all, I use the larger unit (Shure FP42), otherwise it's the XLR-BP3 Pro from Studio 1.

3. Collection of XLR adapters for pulling audio of off various soundboards. I have been offered XLR, 1/4" and RCA so I have adpaters for the whole bunch.

4. Polarizing filter, especially for outdoors.

Good Luck,
RJ

Neil Slade
August 17th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Brand new, didn't need as I got a different camera with built in XLRs.

This works PERFECTLY with any other camera, such as GL1- GL2, etc

2 XLR inputs, 2 audio levels knob adjustements,
mono/stereo 1/4" and 1/8" additional aux inputs, ground lift switch.

$179 list-- will sacrifice $139, no tax, shipping included

See this page for details
http://www.studio1productions.com/xlr-bp_pro.htm

email me to purchase neil@neilslade.com
Thanks
Neil Slade
www.NeilSlade.com

I can take visa, mastercard, discover, or pay pal as I am a nationally known book publisher.

Chris Hurd
August 17th, 2003, 08:09 PM
My favorite GL2 accessories are listed here (http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/articles/topfive.php). Hope this helps,

Neil Slade
August 17th, 2003, 08:52 PM
REMOTE CONTROLLER: I liked the Canon remote zoom controller the best of all out there. An excellent choice- and my pick.

WIDE ANGLE: I have bought a Raynox .3X clip on instead, which works perfectly well for wide angle shots. You can zoom in, and reduce to less W/A when needed. About $75. Compare this with the Canon price. Plenty sharp.

I also designed my own DIY wide angle lens
http://www.neilslade.com/lens.html that you can make for under $40 which fits UNDER the lens shade (!) Uses an Edmund Company quality lens. Small, and works very well.

The zoom is not full through with the above lenses, but then if you're shooting wide angle-- chances are you don't need full zoom in most cases. Either of my recommendations are wider than the .7X Canon which isn't that wide in my book. I don't know how much the Canon lens limits zoom, if it's multi-element, it doesn't- one good point for the lens, but not that big a deal.

AUDIO ADAPTERS: The Studio 1 XLR-BP-Pro mike/audio adapter is less expensive, and offers many more features- more pro-use, again than the overpriced Canon access.

I also would highly recommend the relatively tiny Samson Mixpad 4 phantom powered battery/AC mixer for SERIOUS audio--why? The Canon GL1/GL2 built in mike pre-amps are not very good, and are NOISY. If you want pro sound, you need a better mike pre-amp and the Samson makes a HUGE difference in background noise elimination. You can turn the mixer up, and turn the cameras pre-amp mike volume knobs down. Voila, NO NOISE on your soundtrack. Go to Ebay for one of these, or one of the many music dealers. (Or email me)

LIGHT: I bought a SIMA TWENTY watt compact hot-shoe portable camera mountable battery powered light that makes mince meat of the miniscule joke of a 3 watt essentially useless Canon light (unless you are literally sitting on your subject)-- go to Best Buy, about $35 and get a better light and save a bundle.

MIKES: Azden makes a variety of shotgun mikes from really inexpensive to more money. If you want top pro sound, however, there is no getting around the Seinheiser ME66-- the industry standard. Any of these will be a better "you get what you pay for" deal than the Canon mike. Be prepared to pay for the Seinheisser ME66 however- its about $450, but gives you the same sound the big guys use. The Azdens are half as expensive or less, but don't sound as good as the serious stuff.

Yours truly,
No bull or corporate payback Neil