View Full Version : Help with getting sound to camera

Barry Edmundson
September 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
We are in the processing of taping with a canon gl2 camera and would like to pull sound from a macee 32 channel sound board. We used an audio-out from the sound board using an xlr to an rca plug into the camera, but my sound level did not change. I put the rca plug into the a/v plug in the back right side of the camera. I am a new user to the camera, so any suggestions would be appreicated.

Frank Simpson
September 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Try running an RCA line out from the mackie into the 1/8" mic input (towards the front on the right side of the GL2) Turn the mic attenuation on in the GL2 to keep from getting too hot of a signal, then set and check your levels at the camera, monitoring through a pair of headphones plugged into the camera.

I've used this configuration many times and have been very pleased with the results.

Barry Edmundson
September 27th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I tried to turn the mic attenuation on in the GL2 but had no success. If I can get this part done, we will try your suggestion in the morning. Hope you can message me through this.

Frank Simpson
September 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Just remember that a line-level signal is pretty hot, so you'll need to set your audio levels manually and start low and bring them up to where you need them.

Tim OBrien
October 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I've done a couple of school projects with my kid using some decent condensor mics hooked up to my Behringer 802 mini-mixer with really good quality on the sound.

Main outs of the mixer ran to the mic in port on the GL2 using a RadioShack dual-RCA to 1/8" stereo plug. Works GREAT.

Don Palomaki
October 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM
When using the mic jack as an input, it is usually best to set the mixer output to MIC level. That avoids the possibility of clipping in the first preamp stage.