View Full Version : Mac Pro Recall?

James Brill
October 3rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
MacNN | Mac Pro accused of creating toxic fumes [u] (http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/09/29/mac.pro.toxic.u/)

This may be off topic but it definitely shook me up today considering I'm around mac pros almost 24 hours a day like I'm sure most of you are as well. I have noticed the smell on every mac pro I've ever been around but it has been the same case since the G5's so wouldn't this of happened earlier? You would think a computer such as this would be around scientist or at least people who are professionals at what they do and complaints would of been made and heard earlier.

Christopher Drews
October 3rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
WTH?! Is this real? I like you am around them 24-7. I normal have the monitor / keyboard sent in from the machine room - but I haven't noticed any smells.
-C

Robert Bec
October 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
I haven't noticed a smell cant be true info must be posted by PC uses

David Usher
October 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
They do admit that the analysis was qualitative and not quantitative, so the quantities could be very small. I'm an organic chemist and have not detected (by nose or eyes!) any untoward smells around our G5. BTW, it may be just an incorrect translation, but the MacNN site lists "ethanone" as one of the chemicals detected. There is no such compound as unsubstituted ethanone. They may have meant ethanal (acetaldehyde). Also propanone is better known as acetone.
- David