View Full Version : Bunch o HD questions

Randy Johnson
October 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hi,
I use my GY-HD100 for weddings for the past couple years ive been shooting in 60i DV in 16X9. Now I am starting to mess around with HD. I was on a job saturday and near the end of the reception I put the camera into HDV 30p and shot a bit I took the footage and played it out of my camera into my new HD editing monitor
Insignia® - 19" 720p Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV/DVD Combo - NS-LTDVD19-09 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8632893&type=product&id=1194052592137)
via the componet connectors.
I noticed that it didnt look that good, am I doing something wrong? I thought 720p would look alot better than DV also going from 60i to 30p does the camera perform in low light better? OR I did noticed that 24p seems a bit better in low light, anyone shooting weddings in 24p? sorry for the barrage of questions but I am treading new water here.

Thanks
Randy

Shawn Kessler
October 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Randy one thing I noticed about your monitor is that resolution is lower than HDV 30p
so that may have some factor to it. its ok for standard defination but not HD just my 2 cents.

Shawn

Randy Johnson
October 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
please excuse my ignorance but it does support 720p doesnt it?

Ben Lynn
October 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Randy,

In my experience I haven't seen much of a difference between sd and hd in low light situations (I use a 100 also). But, shoot some material in outdoor lighting, or a well lit indoor scene, and you'll find a world of difference. You won't go back to sd once you see how clean the hd looks in proper lighting. I'd suggest shooting some test footage right at your house, or hook your camera up to your monitor directly and make sure that the monitor is displaying the full resolution. Again, once you see the hd image on the monitor there's no mistaking it for sd.

You were right about 30p giving you better low light performance. With 30p I can run the shutter at 30 and it looks virtually identical to a shutter of 60 but it adds that much more light. Another thing I do to help with low light situations is to stretch the blacks. I don't use any gain because I don't think the camera handles gain well. Plus, I see the split screen at 6db or higher so I don't even want to mess with it. I do however use a 50watt light at all times if I'm shooting in what I think are low light situations. The light, shutter, and black levels seem to give me an image that looks works.

Ben

Randy Johnson
October 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM
great. thanks for your input! So if I shoot in 30p (it already looks a bit studdery) then change it to 30 fps it looks pretty much the same? Thats huge, it gets me 2 more stops!

Randy

Ben Lynn
October 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Exactly. There's a difference, but it's really minimal. It's not at all like when you shoot 60i and then made a change to a shutter of 30. So use the extra option to gain more light.

Randy Johnson
October 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
That alone makes it worth the price of admition