View Full Version : MPEG2 output for Compressor

Jerry Matese
October 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Can someone help with settings in compressor for a file format that works with typical MPEG decoder boxes such as Adtech. We are looking for SD 720x480 with embedded audio at 5Mbs CBR. Having trouble with translation from PC oriented spec from MFG.

Robert Lane
October 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Jerry,

I'm not familiar with Adtech decoders but you need to find out if it wants either Transport or Program stream encoding; definitely you don't want Elementary because that is for DVD authoring.

Jerry Matese
October 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
It wants transport stream. It supports h.264 in a MPEG2 wrapper according to MFG tech support in addition to standard MPEG2. No quicktime whatsoever. They have no MAC support at all.

Robert Lane
October 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Unfortunately this is a scenario that is played out all too often in pro-video/film where some of the best tools and intermediary devices simply have no Mac support at all and, there's no competitive product that is Mac-capable. This is especially true for hardware encoders and high-end color-finishing software.

If you look at the supplied grabs you'll see that Compressor definitely has a "transport stream" option for MPEG2. Make a copy of the default setting and then modify all the options to fit the requirements of your decoder. The finished file will be non-platform specific and simply be an MPEG-2 steam w/audio.

Jerry Matese
October 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Tried this already and file did not run. Didn't like m2t file. Looking into Sorenson Squeeze for MAC to encode the file if we can't find solution. Very frustrating.

William Hohauser
October 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Try MPEGStreamclip but I'm afraid that Adtech might be using a proprietary MPEG codec that can't be generated in the Mac at the moment.

I am working with a broadcasting facility that is changing their program servers. The old server was happy with transport streams generated in Compressor. The new one uses a strange MPEG2 file wrapper that the server's encoder hardware puts on the file. We have been trying to get the company to make a small software program that places the wrapper on a normal MPEG2 transport stream but that's been a problem.

Jerry Matese
October 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Someone from Adtech finally sent settings that work for thier player. I will post tomorrow for those who may need a reference.