View Full Version : Mac external drives

Charlie Branham
October 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
This may be the wrong section to post, but being on the mac side I guess it is a place to start. I have an external sata drive, finished a video and now need to create a highlight. Can not get drive to mount. I have data rescue & disk warrior and neither will touch it. It flickers (light) and never mounts. Someone mentioned the freezer? and then hook it back up? Anyone heard of that or any suggestions? I still have the raw tapes, but sure would be a lot easier to load from drive.

Thanks,

Charlie

Edward Carlson
October 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Don't put it in the freezer yet! Check it on a PC, or another Mac to see if it mounts there. Also try a different SATA cable. What are the specs of you system?

Charlie Branham
October 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have an editor in New York that sends drives back to me in South Carolina. I'm sure she is running leopard, I take the bare drive in a black x drive bay that has usb and sata to mount to mine. when I got it back I pulled the wedding video off, Changed drives and then realized that I had to include a highlight. So when i plugged it back up, no luck. Had been sitting on desk, no moving, no damage, heat or anything to my knowledge. I have changed from usb to sata. i had powered on & off. I had plugged in and out, hoping it would mount. Just kills me that something would happen for no reason. Someone posted on this forum, the freeze or get cold plan. I have leopard as well and have tried it on 3 different systems. Thanks for looking and offering help.

Charlie Branham
October 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Edward, I have non-intel as well as duo core intel. can't seem to make any sense from this.

Thanks

Edward Carlson
October 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Plug it in and go to Applications > Utilities > System Profiler. Click the Serial-ATA or USB item and check to see if it's listed. If not, then the drive or chipset is bad. If it is, go into Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) and see if it is listed there, and if the drive has any volumes. If it has volumes but they aren't mounted, click the volume and click the Mount button.

Charlie Branham
October 9th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Edward, I have checked both with no luck. Data rescue is about as good as there is to find a drive, with no luck this time. It's spinning and you get a quick signal it's on then it never mounts. I think I'll start buying more new drives and replace them more often. I use some with granite digital boxs (which i had good luck with.) They have drive bays with led readouts to warn you about these problems about to happen. Might be a good time to buy. thanks for all of your help, if anything else comes to mind, let me know.\

Charlie Branham