View Full Version : Avid Script Integration equivalent i FCP? Does it exist?

Christian Loennechen
October 10th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Is there a plugin or way to work with scripts in Final Cut as you can with Avid? It's just so incredibly useful, and I can't understand why it isn't a built in feature in Final Cut too.

Andy Mees
October 10th, 2008, 04:39 AM
StoryCut is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head, but as far as I know its only available as an integrated part of the Sienna newsroom system
sienna (http://www.gallery.co.uk/sienna/indexsienna.html)

Yes, Avid's ScriptSync is nice (as seems to be Premiere CS4's new voice recognition feature) ... but as to why these features aren't built-in to FCP, its hardly surprising. Almost all NLE's have similar core functionality, but beyond that the toolsets differ. You buy and use the tool that best suits your needs. Over time the existing features sets all tend to blur a little until one or the other developer adds something new. In development cycle terms, ScriptSync is still new to Avid, and voice recognition is very new to Premiere ... you will have to wait to see if and when these features become commonplace and FCP's developers decide whetehr or not to implement them, or whether there development time would be better spent elsewhere. Bottom line: If you need it now, get an Avid.

Richard Alvarez
October 10th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Script sync has been a part of Avid MC for about three, almost four years now. It can be real handy if you're working on a doc, and have transcriptions to work with, as well as working in narrative fiction formats.

Basically, it's an organizational tool that shows its strength for long form a formal narrative pieces - AVID's meat and potatoes. (And the 'professional' broadcast market). It can certainly be used in short form pieces, it's just not used that often.

Andy Mees
October 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
But the question, Richard, was not "What is ScriptSync?" but rather "Why doesn't FCP have it?"

Christian Loennechen
October 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Actually, I shouldn't have phrased it like that. What I care about is whether or not a plugin or similar exists... If not I'll just make do, but hope they will incorporate a script function in the future.

Richard Alvarez
October 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
To answer Andy's paraphrase, - because Final Cut Pro doesn't focus on long form as a market share in the same manner that AVID does. That's a supposition on my part. The NLE manufacturers - to a greater or lesser degree - try to cater to the needs of its greater market share. AVID's greater market share is the professional broadcast/film industry. FCP greater market share is the 'indy' and ad agency industry, and to a lesser extend the event industry. These tend to be shorter forms. Again, just a rough guess based on most uses.

Christian Loennechen
October 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM
That makes sense.