View Full Version : Jaggies

Ed Dooley
October 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
A non-English speaking poster in another forum asked what's wrong with her footage (HD-100). She hasn't sent the settings yet (frame-rate, HDV-SD,shtter speed, etc).
Any guesses on the severe jaggies in this footage? It looks to big to be interlacing. Shutter speed/frame-rate perhaps? I'll get more info from her ASAP.

OK una ves mas Tratare de explicarles
Por fabor Vean esta Pagina ALLi tengo un ejemplo de video
donde podran ver el problema Les Agradecere Su Respuesta
Gracias http://www.mogulus.com/esperanza2009

Thanks,
Ed

Shaun Roemich
October 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Since the image is wider than 16:9 (looks like 22:9), is she doing anything to it in post? Is she stretching it, combined with low bitrate on an encode in NLE?

Shaun Roemich
October 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
<Double Posted>

Ed Dooley
October 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Good question, I hadn't noticed the extra width. I'll see if I can find out. My Spanish is very bad, and her English isn't much better, what fun!
Ed

Since the image is wider than 16:9 (looks like 22:9), is she doing anything to it in post? Is she stretching it, combined with low bitrate on an encode in NLE?

Alex Humphrey
October 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
NTSC 60i deinterlaced for web, looks pretty normal to me. But that's why I hate interlaced formats.

Sharpness looks like it's at Normal 0 (In reality +10 if you think of 0 as OFF and 1 more than zero is 1... I know that seems stupid but most cameras factory default at sharpness NORM as the maximum that anyone would ever want to shoot the camera so it looks the best in the showroom... not that you would REALLY shoot the sharpness that high. Remember sharpness is artificial edge enchancment only) I shoot everything at -6 or -9/Minimum) At Norm you get the jaggies otherwise known and venetian blinds look. Best way to get rid of them, drop the edge enhancement (sharpness) to -6 or -9 or Min or even OFF.

Next, switch to a progressive format for if internet or DVD is the final destination... who wants interlaced anyway??? Shoot 24p or 24pA NTSC (or 720p 24fps) I really wouldn't use 30p for anything other than web, even then I still prefer 24p since it's less bandwidth than 30p. So to recap.

1. Sharpness -4 to -9 or Min. Don't go OFF. (OFF, MIN, -9, -8, -7, -6, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, NORM +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +10)
2. Shoot progressive NTSC or HDV. I choose 24p for everything. I don't use 60i or 30p. Others could recomend for difference between NTSC 24p and NTSC 24pA. I say shoot HDV 720p 24p
3. Edit natively in what ever format she choses, then downconvert at the last step to what ever format she wants. Results are 10,000 times better.