View Full Version : GL2's seem to have quite a few problems...

David Woodland
August 21st, 2003, 06:20 PM
Why is it that so many people on here have problems with their GL2's? I'm just wondering because I haven't had a problem yet and I absolutely love it. Okay, I'm done, bye.

Frank Granovski
August 21st, 2003, 07:27 PM
It's because people come looking for help from the forums. If you read the forums, here and elsewhere, you will discover that other cam brands have their problems too.

Imran Zaidi
August 21st, 2003, 08:04 PM
Yeah... what Frank said. Mine is great and I've had no problems with it. Had it for 9 months.

Federico Dib
August 21st, 2003, 08:20 PM
Yes, I guess most people that donīt have a problem with their cams wouldnīt post "Hey I donīt have a problem with my cam"...

There is also the issue on "hard to catch" problems like the one in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13162

Where someone spotted a "small" problem that no one else had noticed before.. and then all of a sudden we start to test and found we have that problem... which was not much of problem anyways since we didnīt notice it before someone told us it could be there..

Also I guess information makes people more aware, "picky", perfectionist... specially in the prosumer level where most owners want to push the cams to the Pro level... but canīt pay for the "real pro"...

I for one have worked with betacam SP, and some real Pro DV cams back at school.. and now I want my 2000€ cam to be like those big ones... and then find problems that are not really a problem... like "low light performance" which is not a problem is just a charachteristic of the CCD... etc...

So "ignorance is bliss"...

And for last there is also the issue that the cams that have more owners or active threads or whatever, seem to have more problems.. but It is because there are more users posting... I think you can find a lot more issues on the Xl-1 forums just because people have been posting longer... and I guess that if someone made a statistics on the percentage of "problem" posts in each camera section that results would be around the same...

ŋCan anyone do that? Itīs only about 86.000 posts... so reading every post at a 60 second each, would only take about 1400 hours of reading...

By the way.. My XM-2 is just a little battle machine (battling for my cause of course... )

Don Palomaki
August 22nd, 2003, 04:56 AM
Reasons?

1. Lots of people post here because it is among the best sources of information on Canon products.
2. People do not read or understand the manual
3. People have very high expectations for a piece of consumer gear. They look for it to do things it was not designed to do.
4. People try to use the camcorder out of its intended operating envelope (too hot, too cold, too dirty. etc.)
5. Occaasionally there is a weak spot in any design, or manufacturing problem, and those get posted.

Bob Harotunian
August 22nd, 2003, 06:54 AM
There may be an element of nit-picking with regard to GL2 defects. I think there was one post recently about a loose mic. Well, its not loose unless you wiggle it until it gets loose. I'll be the next to complain when something serious happens but for now, my GL2s are working as advertised and producing excellent images. By the way, want good low light performance? Put a PAGLight C6 20W light on board and at 12dB and you'll get sharp images with vibrant color. We just taped a wedding in an old castle that was more like a cave. Candle lights on the walls and a few halogens about 30' up. Scared me to death when I first saw the place but just finished editing and images look very good.
Bob