View Full Version : FCP sees 1080p25 as Interlaced

Peter Rooney
October 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Capturing 1080p Shot on Sony HVR V1 into FCP using HDV capture presets.
The clip comes into the browser as 1080i50. The qt file in my scratch disc is described by QT as 1080i50. I understand that the camera 'stores' ( what it says in the manual ) the progressive footage as 1080i50 ( frames seperated into fields but not offset like true interlaced footage)
When loading sequence settings for this 1080p 25 footage I select the 1080p25 sequence setting as you would but when i dump the footage on the timeline FCP wants to change the sequence settings to 1080i50?
So the whole way through this process from capture to edit QT and FCP are seeing this footage as 1080i50 and FCP advises me not to decompress it with the 1080p25 compressor in sequence settings.
Can anyone explain what is happening here. Why does FCP tell me I have to decompress 1080p25 with a 1080i50 compressor in sequence settings?
Peter

David Lorente
October 14th, 2008, 02:42 AM
HDV was designed to handle interlaced footage only. That's why FCP always "sees" HDV footage as interlace, even if the images are actually progressive.

If you want your footage to work as 25p instead of 50i, just open the Item Properties window (Ctrl+click on the clip => Item Properties). Then, in the Field Dominance text field, you should see Upper (Odd) or Lower (Even). Press Ctrl+click again over this and select None. Voilá! Your clip is now handled by FCP as progressive.

Now, if you have a lot of clips, you'll have fun doing this clip by clip. It really sucks that these properties can't be changed on several clips at once.