View Full Version : Frame Rate change

Mike Moncrief
October 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

I have a piece of video that is an animation that was rendered out of a 3d package.. it is 210 frames long, yet when I play it with the quicktime player it plays very quickly like it has only 4 frames of video,, I bring it into motion and using the inspector I see that it 7 seconds long, but the frame rate is set to 3000 fps.. I am able to scrube through it with quicktime player, and I can see all 210 frames are there.. but I cannot figure out how to change the frame rate to 29.97 fps ?? I tried Final cut, Motion.. Just could not figure out a way to change it..And suggestions on how to get the quicktime frame rate on this thing back to 29.97 fps ?? Thanks in advance ??

Shaun Conner
October 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Have you tried bringing it in to fcp and creating a new quicktime file with the correct frame rate that you're looking for?

Mike Moncrief
October 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hello,
I tried exporting it using compressor, to the animation codec.. which says it was set to 29.97 fps.. but when I compressed it was the same ,...

Christopher Glavan
October 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I would suggest changing the clip speed in the timeline, but I think you'd have to put it in a 60p timeline, reduce speed 50%, export, then bring that into a 29.97 timeline and reduce again. My guess is someone forgot a decimal before they rendered the clip they handed off to you. I'd go back and see if they can re-render at the correct frame rate.

Shaun Roemich
October 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Can you export it from something as an image sequence and then bring the images into FCP with a still image duration of 1 frame and then render the timeline and export to a DV QuickTime? Ugly, but...

Andy Mees
October 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Mike
Have a look at the helper app QTSync: QT Sync 0.3.3 - MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15245)
Its a quite a gem for a number of functions (like adding an instant TC burn in) ... but what you might particularly like is the Edit > Change Movie Playback Speed option.
Hope it helps
Andy

Shaun Roemich
October 19th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Andy, great catch! I won't try installing it until I finish the project I'm working on but QT Sync looks like a neat little tool.

Mike Moncrief
October 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions..

I took it into After Effects this morning.. and it looks like I can force it to chage the frame rate using interpret footage.. !!

Mark Keck
October 20th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Anyone else try loading the qt_sync app??? How's it looking??? I'm getting some weird pixilation on the menus and such.

EDIT: Opps... it's fine... operator error.