View Full Version : Using FCS2 on a Macbook Pro - with a larger secondary display

Michael Wisniewski
October 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hi,

I'm contemplating running FCS2 on a Macbook Pro with a larger second display attached. And I'm wondering if it's possible to make the second display monitor into the primary monitor. By primary I mean, so that Finder and all the other application windows default to the attached monitor. Basically, I'd like the Finder and FCS2 to have it's main functions defaulting to the larger secondary display, and then I'd move windows back to the smaller Macbook Pro screen as needed.

I went to an Apple store today, to make sure I could do this. They had it a setup to test, but nobody could figure out how to set the Finder to default to the secondary display. Everything kept opening in the Macbook Pro's screen.

Thanks in advance.

Louis Maddalena
October 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
when the larger display is connected open up display preferences and select arrangement, then when you see the two monitors (they will be to scale so you will easily know which on is which), drag the menu bar representation from the mbp screen to the external one. It is now the default screen for all applications.

Les Wilson
October 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM
Yes. It's trivial.

As Louis said, you use the display preferences to arrange the monitors and drag/drop the system menu to the display you want to be the primary one and then close the preferences window. If you ever unplug the external monitor, the system is smart enough to realize that and will work normally. When you hook an external monitor up again, you will have to reconfigure the displays again.

Boyd Ostroff
October 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
When you hook an external monitor up again, you will have to reconfigure the displays again.

I haven't plugged my MacBook Pro into my Cinema Display for awhile, but I *thought* it remembered my menu bar preferences between uses.

Jason Boyette
October 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
For what it's worth...
It even remembers what wallpaper you choose...
For different projectors and different monitors I have different wallpapers...
Comes in handy when you need a black screen at church instead of my North Carolina Football wallpaper that I have at home.

Jason