View Full Version : Editing Livetype in FCP

Bob Kerner
October 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Is there a way to edit Livetype projects from within FCP?

LT has nice templates to put names onto images by compositing them. That part I've figured out; however, once I import the template into FCP I cannot edit the actual text in the viewer, like you can with Motion. That means I'm creating and importing separate LT clips for every name I want to add to a talking head shot. Very cumbersome.

Has anyone been down this road before me or know of an easier method to accomplish the task?

Thanks
Bob

Jonathan Schwartz
October 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Bob,

The answer to your question is no. Sort of. You can not edit the live type text from within final cut. You can, however, control click (right click) on the LT text in FCP and select "open in editor" this will bring up your LT file and you can edit it directly in Live type. When you save the file in Live Type the changes will automatically synch with the file in FCP. I know this is not the answer you wanted but it is the way it is!

Jon Schwartz
CA Video Productions

Bob Kerner
October 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Thank you for your help

Noah Kadner
October 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Though a lot of folks like and use LiveType it's a peripheral product to Final Cut Studio. Motion is a lot better integrated with FCP and much more powerful than LiveType if you take the time to master it. And it can do much of what LiveType does, perhaps not quite as simply but definitely same visual results.

Noah