View Full Version : HD100 captures in SD but not HDV

Joe Riggs
October 26th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I have a HD100U camera that will capture sd footage, but when I try to capture HDV footage, the OS or NLE will not recognize it. I am hoping to determine if this is a settings issue (I have all settings and switches to HDV) or do I have the infamous blown firewire port? I wouldn't think it is blown because I can capture SD footage via the firewire.

Thanks

Ted Ramasola
October 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Just to be clear, is the footage shot in HDV? That is, the SD you captured was shot in SD and when you shoot in HDV the cam is not detected?

What NLE are you using?

Ben Lynn
October 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Neither the OS or NLE will recognize the HDV setting in the same way as the DV. Windows won't make the beep your used to when you hook up the camera and there won't be a little icon in the menu tray. The editor may require you to use a different capture utility. I use Vegas and I have to use a different capture window than when I'm capturing dv footage.

What NLE your using?

Joe Riggs
October 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM
The footage was shot in HDV. When I switch to DV and put an in a tape I shot in DV it will capture, however when I do the same for HDV it will not.

I am using Premiere CS3, however I also tried to capture with HDV split, and it still would not recognize the camera in HDV.

William Hohauser
October 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Shut the camera and program down before switching to HDV, turn it back on and relaunch your programs. Sometimes there's a communication error between the camera and computer. It happened to me once when doing the exact same switch between DV and HDV..

Joe Riggs
October 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Unfortunately, it did not seem to work for me, and I had to return the camera back to school. The image the camera produces excellent, it is disappointing that capturing the footage via the camera seems to be a real hassle for many users.

David Chapman
November 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Hey Joe, just curious, what format are you shooting on the camera? The switch on the side is only deciding the firewire output, not the actual format (correct me if I'm wrong!). You can shoot both HD and SD in HDV (oddly enough) as well as normal SD in DV mode.

When you play back the tape in the camera, what does it read in the top, left corner? You may have to hit the menu button a few times to bring up the right display settings if you don't see anything.