View Full Version : In the heat of the night!

G. Lee Gordon
November 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Did a search on this but couldn't find anything addressing it. I need to know what camera settings I should use for a night shot. The particular shot I am looking for is a stationary shot of the freeway with the the lights of he cars forming a trail as they pass by.

I will be using the JVC 200, standard lens, Shooting in HD (or would SD be better for this efect?).

Christopher Glavan
November 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
I haven't done a lot of camera work at night, so I can't really speak to the correct settings for night shots, but I would suspect a lot will depend on what lighting you have. Are you shooting where there are freeway lights? Are you planning on having no lighting? I'm thinking some lighting would be preferable, since the stock fujinon lens ain't the greatest in the world, and you're working with 1/3" as opposed to 2/3" ccds.

Adam Letch
November 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
you'll do this is by slowing the shutter down to 6.5fps and shooting 24p, and then speeding it up in post to exaggerate, or if your using a drdh100 you can do timelapse in SD mode and make say 1 frame a second as well for a different effect.
regards

Adam