View Full Version : A-T Pro88W Settings

Mike Lundquist
November 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Received the Audio-Technica Pro88W for my GL2. Am not getting any sound when I review my recorded video. Audio is coming thru earphone very clear, however. Are there internal GL2 menu settings that need to be set?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Graham Bernard
November 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Am not getting any sound when I review my recorded video.

At present we have to assume you ARE recording to tape because

1] you can hear over your headphones (both channels separately and clearly?)

and therefore . .

2] your connections are good.

So therefore I have to ask HOW and on WHAT are you reviewing your footage? Directly from the camera? Or how?

And no. I have been all over this camera and nothing within menus or Users manual tells me that I could stop audio playback. Except maybe selecting OUTPUT channels in VCR mode as something other than L/R. There are further options, which I have NOT explored and that is to have L/L and R/R. Could it be that ONE of your mics or cables or another variable, is ONLY giving you say L/L and you are playing back R/R. Now maybe that could screw the results? I could very well see that you could HEAR L/R happening on record but playing back, in conjunction with faulty cabling, might give silence?

Other than that, the only audio corrections are to do with wind and noise suppression and whether you wish to save in 16 or 8 bit. There is a mic attenuation option, but again that wouldn't do it.

I would start again. Read the User Manual and ensure you are initially setup as you wish with BOTH mics working as you'd expect thru' the cabling - just how ARE you getting these 2 streams into the camera? -ensure you are using 16bit; and ensure you are then reviewing in VCR mode with L/R selected in the menu.

If you get an error with this setup then there is something very wrong.

We need more from you.

HTH,

Grazie

Graham Bernard
November 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Of course there is the rear selection wheel.

When playing back this controls the volume and ON/OFF of the Speaker and your play back headphones. Maybe you have this in the OFF position?

In which case completely ignore what I said above . ..

Grazie

Mike Lundquist
November 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I am recording to tape. I am reviewing directly from the camera rather than as a download to my computer and Vegas.

I reviewed the GL2 manual at least 3 times and have reread the Pro88W instructions about 4 times. I have my camera settings as follows:
16 bit
Output: L/R

I can play back the recorded video in VCR mode but seem to only be getting audio from the built in mic. I also played around with the MIC ATT but that didn't seem to help either.

The Pro88W cables appear to all be seated firmly from camera to receiver and from the lav mic to the transmitter. Both units have been tried using channel settings of A/A and B/B. I do hear (loudly) the audio from the Pro88W when the Pro88W earphone is plugged into the camera.

The question in my mind was if there might be a menu setting that would turn off the on-camera mic that would then pick up the external mic. Wasn't sure if plugging in an external mic overrides the on-camera mic.

Thanks

Mike Lundquist
November 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Of course there is the rear selection wheel.

When playing back this controls the volume and ON/OFF of the Speaker and your play back headphones. Maybe you have this in the OFF position?

In which case completely ignore what I said above . ..

Grazie

I tried the L/R volume controls, both all the way ON and all the way down. It only increased/reduced the on-camera mic levels rather than the external Pro88W mic.

Graham Bernard
November 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I tried the L/R volume controls, both all the way ON and all the way down. It only increased/reduced the on-camera mic levels rather than the external Pro88W mic.

Sorry Mike, no, not the Manual input levels BUT the actual speaker/headphone control. This IS the rear wheel or more precisely the "SELECT dial". In VCR mode this operates the audio OUT.

And YES, once I plug in my audio input device/s into the RED MIC Terminal this overrides the on-board.

Grazie

Graham Bernard
November 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
oh . . are you also saying that the manual dials don't have an effect?

Grazie

Mike Lundquist
November 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM
The manual volume settings work fine for the built-in camera mic but don't seem to affect the Pro88W external mic.

Thanks

Mike Lundquist
November 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Coool, cool, cool! It works! Terminology had me screwed up. Many thanks!

Graham Bernard
November 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Coool, cool, cool! It works! Terminology had me screwed up. Many thanks!

What?!?? What worked?

Grazie

Mike Lundquist
November 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I was only looking at the connections on the back of the GL2. I had plugged the external receiver into the AV Input not realizing that I also had connections on the side of the camera. Duh! So your epiphany of the "green" connection made me rush to the GL2 handbook and behold there was sound! Thanks again, Grazie!

Graham Bernard
November 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Us humans are too creative! - Mike, that's a new one on me! I should've asked you just WHERE you had plugged in the mics???

That AVI IN/OUT is very useful. It is a 3 pole for L/R plus VIDEO! I use it as a feed to my external 7" monitor.

Here's a bit of fun - huh 2 years back! - I did with a SpiderBrace. BUT the point is the use of the AV OUT going to the monitor:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-gl2-gl1-son-watchdog/78179-dvd-monitor.html

Enjoy . .

Grazie