View Full Version : Important Firmware Rumour!

Floris de Rijke
January 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
At a EX Masterclass a few weeks ago I was speaking with a Sony rep about the MxR SDHC solution (which he used as well to my surprise). He told me that in the next firmware update the MxR cards will no longer be accepted by the camera. Although a lot has been said about Sony's promise to allow for 3rd party storage solutions, this wasn't quite what they projected.

Just wanted to let you know that if you are using the great MxR you might want to think twice about upgrading to the next firmware.

Chris Hurd
January 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Moved from XDCAM EX to Area 51 per forum policy.

Barry J. Anwender
January 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Just wanted to let you know that if you are using the great MxR you might want to think twice about upgrading to the next firmware.

Thanks Floris. This confirms what most of use have been wondering and thinking. Time will tell, how Sony responds to the interests of its Existing Customers and The new Economic World Order.

Craig Seeman
January 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'd bet otherwise given that both the JVC HM100 and JVC HM700 can use XDCAM EX codec with SDHC (as well as SxS). Least you forget the Sony JVC alliance announced at NAB.

If anything the next firmware may add features that might only work the SxS card.

In fact a Sony rep wouldn't be using MxR and then say the next firmware will break it. That's just not the way Sony operates. If anything they'd say use at your own risk (not approved) or we recommend SxS.

Brian Luce
January 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
But there are already credible reports of people getting the 1.03 upgrade with NO ill effects with regards to third party media compatibility. (For the EX3)

Craig Seeman
January 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
And I'd also bet Sony is looking to ADD features (in addition to fixing issues) with future firmware updates.

The nifty thing about the EX series and Sony is they do seem interested in adding more things to the cameras you already have.

Jason Davenport
January 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Problem solved. If you have to send in your camera, just put lock tight on your hidden usb door screws. Unless they need it to fix camera.