View Full Version : PDW700 white clip resets to On

Steve Phillipps
February 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Just noticed that on my PDW700 if I set White Clip in the menu to Off, when I power down, next time I switch on it's reset to On again. It's only that one setting so presumably not internal battery gone.
Any ideas?
Steve

Andy Shipsides
February 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Hey Steve

I noticed that the White Clip setting is available in two different menus.. Paint->SW STATUS and Paint->KNEE. Is it possible that you have them set different? One may effect the other if they aren't both set. Not exactly sure because I don't have a camera to test but give that a go.

Andy

Steve Phillipps
February 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks Andy, had a very strong feeling you'd cracked it there - but no!
If you turn it Off in SW Status it automatically turns the one in Knee Off, great. But power off and on again and they're both reset to On!!!
Do you have a 700 there to try it on?
It is an issue as with the BBC settings (and probably Hypergamma too) if White Clip is on it's not letting you use the full dynamic range the settings are supposed to open up.
Steve

Andy Shipsides
February 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
Damn.. well I was hoping that would work too. I don't have a camera at the moment. I might have a demo unit to try on sometime next week. Let me know if you figure it out and I'll contact some Sony people as well.

Andy

Steve Phillipps
February 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
I'd be very grateful as I've tried all sorts now and it still won't work. I've tried it with a 750 I have here and that doesn't do it, it stays as you set it on power up/down, so I'm baffled!
Steve

Andy Shipsides
February 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hey Steve

Got a camera today and mine does the same thing. I tried to save my scene files and user data and it still switches back on a reset. At least we know it isn't just your camera. I'll see what Sony has to say about it.

Andy

Bill Long
March 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Steve,
In the Sony service manual for the PDW-700 under the paint menue it reads
" White-clip { on } at power { off }". This is considered a default setting to
to prevent incorrect usage.
Since this camera was designed for Broadcast News operations they set the
white clip to default to be safe for the numerous news operators at the channel.

Regards

Eugene Kosarovich
March 11th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Wouldn't setting the white clip value to the top of its range make it not matter if the white clip function is on or off? As in 109.5? Or can it really go beyond that?

Andy Shipsides
March 11th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Steve,
In the Sony service manual for the PDW-700 under the paint menue it reads
" White-clip { on } at power { off }". This is considered a default setting to
to prevent incorrect usage.
Since this camera was designed for Broadcast News operations they set the
white clip to default to be safe for the numerous news operators at the channel.

Regards

Hey Bill

I haven't bought the Service Manual yet.. is this option in the Service menu? I understand why it would be default but can it be turned off?

Andy

Peter Beeh
March 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Mine does the same.
My initial reaction was same as Eugene's. If you just set it to the maximum, wouldn't that be the same as off?
Peter

Andy Shipsides
March 12th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Peter

I think you are both right.. just crank the White Clip all the way up and you are in good shape. Some of the HyperGammas will clip whites around 100% anyway - IE Hyper Gamma 2.

Andy

Bill Long
March 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Andy
The setting for the white clip is automatic. You cannot turn it off.
I have a cd of the service manual,since you are a Sony dealer I will send you the
file if required.