View Full Version : need a better mic for the gl2 (inexpensive)

Joe Cirino
September 16th, 2003, 12:31 PM
I just got my Gl2 and love it. I am not happy with the sound quality at all. What are some good alternatives at around $300 for an easy set-up sound mic to shoe...?

THanks

Joe

Alan Tran
September 16th, 2003, 06:48 PM
mke300

Nicholi Brossia
September 16th, 2003, 08:49 PM
You also might want to check out the Azden SGM-1x. I didn't have much money either and opted for the $150 setup (it comes with a suspension mount) and am very pleased considering the low price. One big difference between the two mics mentioned so far is that the sennheiser mke300 has a 1/8" output jack as opposed to the xlr output on the sgm-1x. I purchased the mic and a 1' female xlr to male 1/8" from B&H and they seem to work well together.

One strange thing that I noticed about the sgm-1x is that it records perfectly on the tape, but will only playback properly through the camera headphones and a/v output. The sound becomes very very low through the onboard speaker, but it is there. And it is at properly recorded volume. Its just one of those things I just live with... no big deal. I've done a number of projects with the mic so far and that seems to be the only quirk so far.

I've read a number of reviews on both the mke300 and the sgm-1x and both seem to have their fair share of supporters and bad experiences. Hopefully I've helped out a little though.

nicholi

Don Palomaki
September 17th, 2003, 04:22 AM
MIC recommendation will depend on what you plan to record with it. A shotgun is not best for all purposes. If stereo is important to you, check the AT-822 or Sony ECM-MS957 or SCM-MS907.

Richard Lewis
September 17th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Sennheiser mke 300D

Electret condenser microphone for film and video cameras.

Excellent unidirectional polar pattern.

Excellent noise reduction.

Integrated windscreen for outdoor recordings.

And it can also be used for postsynchronisation.

Yey lol

Don Palomaki
September 18th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Just keep in mind that the MKE 300 has a significant low frequency roll off below 200 Hz, and may suffer if used in very loud venues.

But it is a decent higher end consumer camcorder mic for the price.

Alan Tran
September 18th, 2003, 12:13 PM
what mic would you recommend for doing musical events, shows, etc?

Ryan McCrary
September 18th, 2003, 12:17 PM
i'm getting into recording live bands and events.. would the SCM-MS907 be a good option for me? i dont need a directional shotgun, but would the SCM-MS907 offer any benefit over the stock gl2 mic?

-r

Joe Cirino
September 18th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Because I needed a new mic like fast, and because I have no idea what to buy without fully researching the best alternative, I oped for now, MD50. I really want to put some time in thinking about what my options are...

Thanks everyone for the help. Overall, I couldnt beat the $135 and im done for now, as opposed buying a mount and mic.

Don Palomaki
September 20th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Ryan:

The Sony MS907 will be just OK. After all, it is a low priced mic marketed to consumers. The primary advantage over the on camera mic is you can obtain better isolation from the camerea body.

For better frequency rsponse (and a higher price) check the ECM-MS957 and even better the AT-822.

Chris Wright
April 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
I'm looking for a no-budget shotgun mic also. It will be used for weddings until I can afford a good wireless setup. Will either the mke 300 or the sgm-1x work well for picking up decent audio at weddings, including wedding vows?

James Sudik
April 2nd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Hey Chris, I am in a similar position as yourself. I just got the Audio Technica AT 897 shotgun with a Beyerdynamic EA-86 isolation mount. The mic was $279 (almost 100 less than the comparable Senn.) and another $30 for the mount. More than I planned on spending initialy, but after doing some comparrison with the on-board GL2 mic, well, there is no comparrison. It (the AT897) was really clean and had a "pro" sound that just didn't happen with the on-board. From what I hear the low dollar alternatives aren't that much of an improvement over the on-board as it is. Be aware that you may nickle & dime yourself into a waste of money going low end. However, also consider the need for an XLR adapter for taking advantage of the better mics. The XLR pro (Sign Video) is really nice, and only $145. (again, cheaper compared to the more popular stuff). Man, it adds up fast, but the saying is true - to a point- you get what you pay for.

Frank Granovski
April 2nd, 2004, 09:55 PM
I got myself an Apex 191 (cardioid). Bryan Beasleigh told me about it. It was only $99 Canadian, but it sure works nice.

Chris Wright
April 2nd, 2004, 09:55 PM
James:
thanks for the info. My plan is to initially buy a relatively cheap XLR mic (SGM-1x or AT897 if I can afford it) and use it with a XLR-mini plug adapter. That way, a few months down the road, I can buy an XLR adapter and use that rather than the mini plug adapter and add a wireless lav mic.

Would this plan work well? Will an XLR mic lose some quality if it is ported through an adapter to a mini plug?

Also, can you explain to me why the AT-897 is really worth the money? ... because I dont have it. The AT-897 is twice the cost of the SGM-1x and I have already heard pretty good things about the SGM-1x.

Please note that I am a amateur. I have some experience but I am definitely far from a pro (I'm a high school student). Do you think the AT897 is a bit overkill for me? I have very little money, and while I don't want to skimp out on quality and buy products that I wont use in a month, I also need to keep in mind that I need to buy extra batteries, a good tripod, and possibly a decent shoulder mount stabilizer as well.

Sorry for the long post... thanks again for your help!

Chris Wright
April 2nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
Just noticed this me66 deal on eBay... let me know what you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3807476944&category=3315#ebayphotohosting

they are selling it brand new for $285, and B&H sells it for $400. This is supposedly an excellent mic, and although this is still a very high price, I could make it work if it is a good deal...

James Sudik
April 3rd, 2004, 12:20 AM
First understand that we are equally amatuers, so I am giving you info on a limited scope, although I have spent a lot of time researching information. A brand new Senn ME66 is around $345-365 from reputable dealers. The AT897 is $279 brand new. Many people I have talked to say the Senn is the best mic in this price category. A bunch of other folks feel the AT897 is very comparable, with little if any audible difference. The Senn is (I belive) 2 inches longer then the AT (just FYI). So in my opinion the less expensive AT was the better choice for me. I have no doubt that both are good mics, and for what we are doing any difference in quality between them is irrelevant or unoticeable. With that in mind you have to consider the condition of the Senn on Ebay. A lot of vets will tell you to take advantage of the good buys that can be found in used gear. If you are a bit anal like me, I tend to avoid used gear from strangers. I would buy the (still) cheaper AT897 in the original wrapper, rather than a used mic almost every time. As for the XLR adapter, yes you will get better signal with a pro-converter rather than a simple combo-cord. How much difference, and if it is worth the money or noticeable in your application, I don't know for sure.

Chris Platt
April 3rd, 2004, 09:17 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Wright : Just noticed this me66 deal on eBay... let me know what you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3807476944&category=3315#ebayphotohosting

they are selling it brand new for $285, and B&H sells it for $400. This is supposedly an excellent mic, and although this is still a very high price, I could make it work if it is a good deal... -->>>

Chris...that Ebay deal is in the UK and is 285 POUNDS...or $521...not $285. So still cheaper here in the U.S. at B&H or Zotz.