View Full Version : Sony Vegas Thoughts?

Les Jarrett
March 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'm currently shooting XDCAM HD on disc, editing in FCP in HD, releasing the completed program on SD DVD's, then archiving the completed master in HD back to XDCAM disc so that I have an HD master for "someday".

Someday became yesterday when my distributor said that they wanted to start releasing some of my titles on Blu-Ray.

I've investigated Sony Vegas, and it seems at first look as the way to go, since FCP doesn't support Blu-Ray.

This way I could import the masters, author in Blu-Ray and go on my way. Then of course in the end, I would have two edit systems to choose from when starting to edit a project.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Vegas and how it would handle the above workflow?

Alister Chapman
March 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
You could always use Toast 10 to author your discs on the Mac. Vegas is pretty good for straight forward DVD authoring.

Uli Mors
March 30th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Its totally easy...

Simple edit in Vegas , render to template

- MPG : Preset: BluRay (change mbit settings to your taste)
or
- AVC : Preset: BluRay ( ...)

+ AC3

Those mpg/avc/ac3 files can be directly used in DVD Architect 5 (BluRay Authoring incl. moving thumbs) and speed up bluray writing.

best regards

ULI

Eugene Kosarovich
March 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Vegas is also my NLE of choice, and I plan to start authoring Blu-ray very soon with DVD Architect.

I've been using Vegas Pro 8 for a year now doing XDCAM SD and HD editing, and I'm quite happy with the workflow. And DVD Architect works great for SD DVDs as well.

I really feel that Vegas has the best integration with XDCAM, which it should with them both being Sony products.

Once I get the new Pioneer 203 Blu-ray burner, I'll be ready to start burning some real HD with it.

Les Jarrett
April 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info, will ponder further. I had forgotten about Toast, having migrated to the Mac from the NewTek VT platform. Things have sure come a long way from the old Amiga Toaster!

Eugene Kosarovich
April 2nd, 2009, 01:57 AM
Yup, I'm a long term Video Toaster to VT to SpeedEDIT user myself.

Amiga, ahead of its time.

Newtek's NLEs don't support XDCAM HD, so I moved to Vegas. I like the Vegas Pro 8 feature set better as well.

Uli Mors
April 4th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I am involved in the Beta Versions of Vegas 9 - be assured there will be a lot of improvements!

Uli

Paul Kellett
April 4th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Uli, can you tell us if Vegas pro 9 will still need EX1/3 files rewrapping to mxf ?
And do you have any idea when 9 will be released ?
Thanks.
Paul.

Uli Mors
April 5th, 2009, 06:59 AM
We will see... No , there is no date released yet.

I'll wait until the official announcement, then IŽll post again.

Best regards

ULI