View Full Version : What to buy?

Corey Sturmer
September 18th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Unfortunatly, I am finding myself in a bind. I just bought a GL2, and I had 1000 dollars to purchase accesories for it and upgrades for my computer, but for reasons beyond my control, that money had to be cut down to about 450 dollars. Now I am in a bind. I went to Best Buy today and saw a deal I couldn't pass up, 160 gig hard drive and 512 mb ram all for 200 dollars. Of course I got it. Now I have about 290 dollars left including rebates, and I don't know what I want to do. Originally I had planned on buying an XLR adapter, a really nice audiotechnica shotgun mic, and the WD-58h, but I cannot afford that...I was wondering what I should buy, what is worth the most to me.

I want sweet audio, I've never had the capability to make good sounding-recordings, so I really want the XLR adapter and a mic, but I can't afford both. I could buy the XLR adapter, and wait to earn some more money, but with school I'm currently unemployed.

I could always buy the DM-50, but is that really worth the buy? And if I was to do this, I would want to buy the Wide Angle with it.

Should I buy the wide angle and put off the audio and just buy a mic muff?

Any solutions? Thanks.

Ken Tanaka
September 18th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Amidst all of this you've not mentioned what you plan to be shooting.

Why is the money burning a hole in your pocket? You don't seem to have a specific equipment objective at this time. Put the cash away, shoot a bit and get a better perspective on your particular priorities.

Corey Sturmer
September 19th, 2003, 07:06 AM
I'll be shooting a historical documentary in less than a month. But more than anything I want to have options.

Ken Tanaka
September 19th, 2003, 10:07 AM
If you're going to shoot interviews you'll need a better audio facility. That would be your priority. $290 is a very tight budget for that, maybe nearly out of the question for XLR audio. You might look at the Sennheiser MKE-300 on-cam shotgun mic for that budget. I've used it many times and, for an on-camera mic, it's not bad.

Corey Sturmer
September 21st, 2003, 01:36 PM
Yeah, what sucks is that I was getting a pretty sweet audio setup with the money I had, but now that's not really an option. I'm just trying to find something that might tide me over...