View Full Version : Need help with lenses

Roman Nittmann
September 22nd, 2003, 10:04 PM
Did anybody buy those High Definition Digital Lenses from Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2952517599&category=30066

Are they good for its price? What brand would you guys recomended for lenses for GL2?

Thank's a lot!

Alan Tran
September 22nd, 2003, 11:03 PM
depends on what your doing
i couldnt really justify buying a 2700 dollar camcorder and putting cheap glass in front of it. century optics are pretty much the way to go if you have the money.

Rob Andree
September 27th, 2003, 06:54 PM
I agree, buying a 2700 dollar camera then buying some imataion lens infront of it sucks. I recently purchesed a century optics fisheye for the GL2 and it rocks, best ever.

Ken Tanaka
September 27th, 2003, 09:16 PM
There are no cheap shortcuts to making good lenses. The best way to get a bargain on such accessory lenses is to look for a good name (ex: Century, Canon) used lens.

Barry Goyette
September 28th, 2003, 12:39 PM
I took a look at one of these "titanium" lenses at a cheap camera shop in Times Square awhile back...You could see a huge color shift when you pass the lens in front of your eye...a very cool effect in my opinion. Also, ever notice how most lenses have black "interiors"...I think these guys are onto something great with the "titanium" innard...must be to increase the speed of the lens by reflecting more light into the camera....

Barry

Jason Casey
September 29th, 2003, 08:36 AM
$2700!!! Where are you people buying your cameras. I just got a new GL2 from a Canon authorised dealer for $1788 after rebate.

Rob Lohman
October 6th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Well, most of us didn't buy the camera with a rebate so that
would be at least $2288 then. Also prices tend to drop so the
earlier you bought it the more expensive it was (usually). Not
everybody buys from the cheapest place either but go for the
quality/service/price ratio. And ofcourse a lot of people buy
extra accesories when they buy the camera.

K. Forman
May 24th, 2004, 04:27 PM
So... What exactly is a High Def lens? I can understand a camera being High Def, but a lens? Is this just sales propaganda or what?

Chris Hurd
May 24th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Yup, it's strictly a marketing gimmick. There's nothing "high def" about those cheap adapters.

K. Forman
May 24th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Ok... This is likely to be a "no", but why? Can you use a lens from a still cam on a video cam? As long as they both have the right thread, wouldn't it be similar in function?

Thanks for the quick reply Chris... I'm ebaying at the moment!

Chris Hurd
May 24th, 2004, 06:37 PM
You mean a lens adapter such as a wide-angle adapter... an attachment for a lens. What I know is, Canon has a wide-angle adapter for the GL2 with a 58mm thread, and an entirely separate adapter for their PowerShot G5 digicam, also at 58mm. I asked about it and was told that the two adapters are not interchaneable even though they're the same thread diameter due to vignetting issues. But that may not be true all the way across the board though.

K. Forman
May 24th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Ok... I can buy that, although it seems that vignetting is a common problem in most lenses- except for the high dollar items.